Sign in to follow this  

Reverse Thrust Question For Mike B. or Lee H.

Hey Mike or Lee:I'm using CH FlightSim Yoke and with Pic, regular or Posky merges, when I retard the throttle and hit the reverse button, it won't engage untill I advance the throtttle a little then retard it again. I've calibrated the throttle thru fsuipc and it's getting full travel. The N1 is about 25.3 at idle. However it takes forever to spool down from approx 54 or 55 to below 28. I've tried to engage the reversers on the ground at 29%N1 and it appears the reversers won't engage above 28%N1. on a normal approach at flare height of approx 50 Ft. and settling to approx 10 ft. then retard throttle for touchdown at descent rate of 50 to 100 fpm, by the time the N1 spools down to below 28% I might as well not use the reversers and just use the brakes. If on touchdown I advance the throttle and retard it real quick and hit the reversers, they deploy. Any thoughts on the matter? And another question, I like to fly with Auto rudder off so I can do crosswind landings the proper way, I have tried it with all combinations, Both dampers off, L damper off R damper on, L damper on R damper off and it works all ways. However, with the L damper off only, the rudder is very sensitive. And with all different combinations while flying and banking the turn ball will act properly and stay centered in a coordinated turn. However during instant replay while in the cockpit view the turn ball is always aff center by at least 3/4 to 1 full ball. have you guys ever checked this out? How do you guys operate yours when flying auto rudder off?Gary W. NorrisAAL214

Guest MB327

Gary,Sorry for the late reply but I have been away from the forum for the better part of the last few days and I missed this one.You mentioned the "reverse button", what button are you using and what is it mapped to? I use a thumb switch on my Suncom throttle control and it is mapped to a repeating F2. As you mentioned, I idle the engines on the flare. When the front wheels come down, I push up the thumb switch. This sends the same command as if I were tapping on the F2 key and works perfect every time. This may be the key for you, set the "switch" you are using to repeat. If, however, you are using a detent on your throttle arm and have set the reverse function through FSUIPC, all I can say is that it did not work for me either with my Suncom Throttle.For rudder control there is a couple schools of thought on what the best method is. I believe that no one answer is correct for all setups. I fly with both damper switches off all the time. My aircraft config file sets the rudder effectiveness at 1.8 (see example below.) Search the forum for "rudder" and check out some of the other methods. I guess I am not into the instant replay thing and can't comment on it as I almost never use it - not a good thing to do on VATSIM.(flight_tuning)cruise_lift_scalar=1.0parasite_drag_scalar=1.0induced_drag_scalar=1.0elevator_effectiveness=1.0aileron_effectiveness=1.0rudder_effectiveness=1.8

Guest ilh

I don't know what is going on with your reverse thrust. I can just pull my (MS Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick) throttle to idle and then F2 will activate reverse. I have a decent null zone set up with FSUIPC at the bottom of my throttle range so I get perfect zero (-16384 I think) with zero noise. I just hold the F2 button down to spool up reverse.Since I don't have pedals, I typically fly with yaw dampers on. I can twist the joystick to get some yaw. If I turn off the yaw dampers, my rudder goes haywire with PIC+POSKY.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Thanks Mike and Lee for your responses to my post. I have a button on My yoke mapped to F2 keystroke, and its only 767PIC that I have problems with as far as Reverse not wanting to engage unless I advance the throttle and pull it back to Idle real quick before I hit the reverse button on my yoke. I've tried setting up the null zone at the lower end of my throttle range in fsuipc but that didn't help. Maybe I'll try unmapping the button and then mapping it again to F2. I don't know how to map it for a repeating F2. It's just a problem with the PIC and not any of my other planes. OH WELL !!As for the rudder control, I have my Rudder_effectiveness set to 2.0I'll try the 1.8 and see how it acts. Hey Mike, I only use the instant replay when in the sim only, not on vatsim, I imagine that would throw all the controllers into a 12 foot hover.Thanks again guys Gary

Guest MB327

One other thing,, is your autothrottle engaged when you land?

Mike:No the autothrottle is not engaged. It's probably throttle noise or mapping problem with PIC. I just upgrade my PSS 777 to 2k2 compatibility and tried it and didn't have the reverse engagement problem, It's just PIC. I'll try remapping the button to F2 and check the PIC controls menu for any clues.Nobody did the PIC gathering on vatsim this past Sunday, didn't see any of the regulars on line, off and on thru the day. I've been hoping to get in on one soon. The other day I had just landed at LAX or Boston (can't remember which) but you were about 20 mins. behind me. No one was on the PIC channel so I couldn't get in touch with you.OH WELL maybe next time.Gary.AAL214

Guest MB327

Sorry to have missed you. I was most likely with ATC on Roger Wilco. For private com on VATSIM, just send a private text message on the chat line.Enter a period followed by "msg" followed by a space followed by the callsign your sending to followed by another space, then the message.It looks like this (me sending to you) .msg aal214 Hello GaryNo one else sees that except the person logged in with the callsign AAL214.

Hey mike thanks for the info. I use (HostSB) the seperate utility to put the SB window in. Do I just type the pvt. message in the line where text goes for talking to the controller in text. or do I have to use the MS Chat window?GaryAAL214

Guest MB327

Same way you type text to the controller. Just begin the line with .msg and the callsign as shown above. That works for sending a private message to the controller as well.Example:.msg bos_v_ctr Will be out of cockpit for 2 minutes, will advise on returnOr perhaps you are with an approach controller who has helped you out a lot and then get the hand off to tower. Things are real busy around that part of your flight so once you land and clear the runway you could send a thank you message back to the approach controller without having to join back on the app frequency..msg bos_v_app Thanks a lot for your help back there, have a good evening(of course you have to match the callsign to the actual way the controller is listed in the ATC directory (bos_v1_ctr or whatever)A word of warning here, you can get busy typing private messages back and forth that you really don't want anyone else to see. If you make the slightest typo, like leaving off the period, the message will go full broadcast when you hit that enter key.