Sign in to follow this  

PIC volume levels

One of the annoying problems I have with PIC is the loud volume of the call out and warning voices (sink rate, glide scope etc.) I've tried messing with all the volume sliders in FS2002 but can't find the one that controls those sounds. I'm sure I'm missing something, anyone?Zanther

Guest WorkingStiff

I guess it's too difficult to turn down the volume control for your computer. This is a function of your operating system and not 767 PIC or FS2002. So depending on whatever operating system you're using you need to adjust the Wave volume.

The problem is that I want the other navigation sounds and engine sounds to remain at the current level, but the PIC voice sounds are way to loud... I'm looking to adjust the PIC voice levels only. that is the problem, not the overall computer volume

Guest WorkingStiff

*SIGH*You can adjust your wave volume from the Control Panel of your operating system, then adjust navigation, engine sounds etc. from within FS2002.

Geez, Stiffy, you just intimidated me outta asking any stupid questions (and i've got lots, damn it!)...and if it weren't for repeated questions, what would a forum be?To the original topic poster, I think what he's trying to say but after 400 posts has not the energy to describe :) is that if you turn your wave volume down on your PC, then you don't have to have the speakers so loud to hear FS2002 sounds that the PIC sounds are obnoxiously loud.SO, go turn ALL your sound sliders to half volume, then go turn down your overall sound volume. Now boot up PIC and find the volume on your speakers that relates to a descent GPWS voice volume level. Now turn UP the sliders for all the other sounds so that they are now louder than the PIC voices and to your liking. Now fine tune your speaker volume.You will see that the PIC voices are now quieter than your engine/nav etc. sounds, and that you can turn them down via your speakers while still having room on the sliders to turn the other sounds comparatively UP.Geez...no wonder ya didn't want to type all that out, there, stif :D I think I went an' confused myself!michael

Guest WorkingStiff

I am always amused when folks start of negatively then ask for help.... so to the poster, he has an "annoying" problem but doesn't realize it has nothing to do with 767 PIC but with his system.Ask as many stupid questions as you want; just don't be surprised by some of the responses. :-lol In most instances, a cursory search of the forum would turn up an answer but I guess if someone has a problem to them it's unique and has never occurred before.

I think when I asked why the speedbrake "indicator" didn't light up whenever I used speedbrakes I used up my quota of stupid questions for, oh, at least a week :DProbably was in the archives, too :)michael

Well I thank both of you for your responses, however I thought of that before I posted and yes I did a search on the subject as well. The problem I have however is that I don't have the volume control slides your talking about. I'm using Windows XP and will admit I'm not a computer expert, but when I try to launch the volume controller I get a "file not found" error. After searching through the XP help I realize I don't have software needed or completely installed. I have the original disk but even after following the help instructions can not seem to locate the "add value" directory needed to install this volume controller. My original question was my attempt to not have to go down this road (installing software or buying a PCI sound card) and simply adjust the sound somewhere within PIC or FS2002. Almost all of the other sounds can be controlled within the program so I thought that would have been one of them, I guess not.Zanther

though I don't know XP at all, I find it extremely hard to believe you can hear sounds but yet have no volume slider anywhere. This seems totally condratictory.You have no icon on your taskbar with a little speaker or anything? Try double clicking or right clicking if you do. Try all possible menus from your "start" button.Double click the equivilant of "My computer" and look there.Open up "Control Panel" from your start button and double click on everything remotely resembling "Audio" or "Sounds" and look there.I just refuse to accept that you have sound installed yet have no access to the line levels.michael

Guest WorkingStiff

The sound controls in Win XP are not obvious.To find them, go to Start/Control Panel/Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices/ then click on Adjust System volume on the Task list.Incidentally, on the Adjust System volume page there's a option you can select which will put the Volume icon in the taskbar in the lower right hand corner.

I have tried that, but when I click on the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" I get the following message.. "Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."I subsequently tried to install the software using the original XP disk and following the help menu, but I can not. I have tried reinstalling windows but still have no individual slider controls. Normally one would access the volume control by clicking ..START/ALL PROGRAMS/ ACCESSORIES/ENTERTAINMENT.. then volume control. I can control the overall system volume through the SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES, much the same way as turning the volume knob on my speakers, but not the individual wave and input/output sounds.If you haven't already guessed I don't have an addon sound card but am using the intregraded motherboard sound.

When I click on SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES PROPERTIES in the control panel and select VIA AUDIO (WAVE) volume control I get the following message.. "Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install".So its seems I'm missing the SndVol32 program and can not seem to find it anywhere.

Zan,I have XP and I can access the controls via "START/ALL PROGRAMS/ ACCESSORIES/ENTERTAINMENT / VOLUME CONTROL". I am not sure why you can not access this area.WSKEWR