Sign in to follow this  
Guest DaveKDEN

Limited water motion on GF 4 MX440 are now working!

Guest ScottPilot

Hello!OK, I was flying along in the cessna 208 float plane and when I was around 200 feet above the water, my water motion started to work!This wouldn't be a big deal for most Geforce 4 users except that I am using the MX440 series.When I had my GF2 MX card, ALL the effects were working fine, including aircraft reflections and water motion effects. This changed of course for those of us using the new GF4 MX line of cards.Well, per the recomendation in another post, I have been using the "trick" to get my aircraft reflections to work, and now I am starting to see my water motion on lakes, rivers, and the ocean starting to be visible, but only below 200 feet AGL.So, does anyone know if there is a setting in the FS2002.CFG file that sets what altitude you start seeing the water motion effects?Just a thought. If any Geforce 4 MX users have stumbled accross this setting, please let me know!I have posted a picture today of the water motion that I am getting with my Geforce 4 MX 440 card.Thanks!Scott :-)

Guest DaveKDEN

Hi Scott,Sorry, I don't have any other answers for you. But my friend has a GF4 MX card and his reflections aren't working (either). Would you mind passing along the trick to get them working (so I can share it with him)?Thanks,Dave

Guest ScottPilot

Happy to Dave,First, I now have FULL water motion, water reflections, and aircraft reflections using this procedure! I did turn down my Autogen on the trees to DENSE from Extreamely Dense) and this has solved the 200 foot problem. It must have something to do with available texture memory on my card.Here is what you need to do:1) Start Flight Simulator and go to FULL screen mode (not windowed)2) Once you are at the airport, bring up the aircraft selection box the normal way by pressing the key, then select the "aircraft selection" menu item.3) Once the aircraft selection window appears, press the following key combo - This will bring you back to the windows desktop.4) Now click on the Flight Simultor MINIMIZED icon on the task bar to go back into FS.5) Now press cancel, since you don't need to re-select the aircraft you are going to fly.Now you should have aircraft reflections as well as water reflections and visible water motion (not just the waves.) Of course all the appropriate setting in the display options should be turned on, such as multi-texturing and reflections, ect...This process is working for me! I now am able to see ALL the reflections, water motion, and water reflections!Also, this process only works with one of the default FS aircraft selected during the procedure as far as I can tell. When flying 3rd party airplanes, do the above procedure with one of the default FS airplanes selected first, then you can go back and select the 3rd party aircraft you are going to fly, and you should still have all your reflections and water motion in tact.I know this procedure is kind of a pain, but it does allow us GF4 MX card owners to get all the effects back that FS2K2 has.This is the procedure that I am using and so far, it is working on my system just fine.Hope his helps!Scott :-)My System specs:Intel PIII 1GHZ (Built myself)512MB SDRAMVisiontek Xtasty Geforce 4 MX440 with 64MB DDR RamNvidia 29.42 Windows XP DetonatorXP drivers installedDual 17" Monitors with a 75HZ refresh rate120GB Hard DiskWindows XP ProCH Product Flight Sim Yoke & Rudder pedals USBFS 2002 ProOcean FX Replacement water texturesEd Denny's USA Scenery (2.5GB)

Guest ScottPilot

Here's another screen shot showing the effects that I am able to get on my Geforce 4 MX440 card using this procedure.Scott :-)

Guest DaveKDEN

I'll pass it along. I'm sure he'll be pleased!Dave