Sign in to follow this  

VFR Panel View or Landing View for 767 PIC

Guest ilh

As I suspected, something isn't kosher. FS2002 crashes with the phone home message when I try to leave PIC. Also, the switching back and forth is really kludgy, but that might be fixable using something like the contributed click spots for the PSS Airbus (a .cab file defining simple XML gauges).Basically, all I did was delete the bottom 292 rows from the B767Wforward.bmp, save as B767Wlanding.bmp. Then I added/replaced the following section in the panel.cfg:&l;Window07&r;file=B767Wlanding.bmpsize_mm=1280, 388position=6visible=0ident=7gauge00=B767WAfds!MCP, 733, 15gauge01=B767WAfds!SMC, 824, 180gauge02=B767WAfds!Nav1, 537, 24gauge03=B767WAfds!Autoland, 620, 163gauge04=B767WAfds!MasterSwitch, 485, 37gauge05=B767WAfds!RadarAltimeter, 561, 255gauge06=B767WAfds!AltAlert, 722, 250gauge07=B767WAfds!InstrSelect, 0, 398gauge08=B767WAfds!GASwitch, 1080, 631gauge09=B767WAfds!Gear, 1179, 224gauge10=B767WAfds!Autobrakes, 769, 518 gauge11=B767WAfds!OMI, 703, 403gauge12=B767Wlight, 0,0gauge13=B767Wairspeed, 92, 224, 168gauge14=B767Wvsi, 556, 406, 136gauge15=B767Waltimeter, 607, 245, 148gauge16=B767Wrmi, 103, 414, 158gauge17=B767Weadi, 291, 172, 221gauge18=B767Wecu, 700, 601, 197gauge19=B767Wehsi, 289, 408, 227gauge20=B767Wclock, 553, 550, 138gauge21=B767Weicas, 934, 180, 225gauge22=B767Wleicas, 934, 409, 225gauge23=B767Weng, 753, 384gauge24=B767Woilw, 790, 498, 95gauge25=B767Wesw, 925, 629, 150gauge26=B767Wgpws, 760, 239, 150gauge27=B767Wtrp, 1178, 163gauge28=767FMC!FMS, 754, 216, 300gauge29=767FMC!XNAV, 0, 600, 300Note that I didn't even bother (yet) to remove gauges that are out of view. I also can't remember what used to occupy Window07 (shift-8).Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

I don't know it's possible to ask PIC team to add a section for the users edited file. It'll get authorization and relive the product, expanding the resources of PIc767.

Ok Pedro,I installed Paul's 707 panel (very nice BTW) and saw the landing view you wanted.I saw Lee's post down the line and did the same thing initially. But what you said you really want was a view from the pilot's perspective.Here it is:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cf6ff4d1624081e.jpgAs you can see I still have A LOT of work to do! I need to align and size the gauges, work on the aspect ratio of the COPYRIGHTED bitmap image, and most of all...figure out a way to prevent some UGLY fatal exception errors when I hide and redisplay my EADI.To answer some questions that will be asked:1. Yes, I can put any gauge on the panel (like the VSI and the radar altimeter) and will after I take care of other issues.2. Yes, I can put the center pedestal on the panel.3. No, I am NOT a gauge programmer or panel designer, I used the trial and error method to get what you see in the screenshot.4. Yes, production of this panel will be hampered by my dog's intense desire to de-gas himself (to put is nicely) while lying directly behind my chair (he has already hampered production 3 time this evening!)5. Yes, my dog's gas can peel paint off walls!6. No, I will not shoot my dog. All is not good in PICville yet simmers, but this screenshot represents about 4 hours worth of work, and I will complete it and release it IF (did you notice the word IF is capitalized? Yes, I'm shouting that word):1. first and foremost, I get permission from the owners to do so.2. I can get all the kinks worked out (to my satisfaction).Here is where you guys (and gals) can help me.1. I've done the hard part, why don't one of you see if you can get me the permission I need to release this thing (or point me in the right direction). I'd much rather spend time getting the panel ready instead of cutting through all the red tape.2. Find some gauge programmers to help me get past some problems that I can't figure out (to be listed later, I'm tired now and have to sleep).3. DO NOT (there is that all caps text again) bombard me with email asking me to send it to you, or tell you how I did it, or even how much I suck because I have not released it yet, etc.For those who do not know me, you'll find that what motivates me is a sincere desire to contribute to the "community", and simple respect of my wishes. You cannot influence the first one, but you sure as heck can influence the second one. :) And MOST important, I have a day job, a family and other interests...(yeah I know, like that matters to you):)I've gotta' get to bed now. 5AM is 3.5 hrs. away and if I don't get at least 3 hrs. sleep before confronting Atlanta a.m. rush hour traffic, you'll be reading about me in the paper! :-lolRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I still think Lee's version provides the best pilot's perspective plus the amount of real estate taken by his panel does not exceed about 35% of the total screen - so there is plenty of outside view left.Michael J.

Hey Michael,I like Lee's panel setup better too (I really won't use the panel I'm creating, and if you'd seen any of my posts describing my screen(s) layout, you'd know why).But, Pedro wanted a panel that puts the viewer's perspective as if they were sitting in the pilot's seat. The main PIC panel and Lee's version put your view as if you were sitting in the middle of the cockpit (not that there is anything wrong with that, it

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest ilh

Thanks, Steve. However, I don't know that I will really use this setup either. I'm actually perfectly happy with the normal view. I just wanted to play around a bit.But, I would be interested to learn what causes the fatal problems if you discover it. There are a lot of gauges there. Time for a binary search! We should find the suspect (if it is one) in 5 tries.EDIT: I forgot to mention that I prefer your perspective, although I miss the MCP.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Hey Lee,I really like the default panel view too. In fact, I feel a little bit like Dr. Frankenstein sometimes, cutting up a perfectly good panel and moving bits and pieces of it over 3 monitors. But having a full screen external view on a 20" monitor and all of your gauges enlarged and placed on two 14" inch monitors really immerses you into the flight!I really prefer your panel view, and plan to have the MCP, VSI , EHSI and EHSI gauges on a pop up panel when I complete my panelI'm also looking at modifying yours to put the EHSI where the top EICAS gauge is, put the EHSI control panel were the thrust control panel is, and put the VSI where the caution panel is. I think that would be an awesome panel arrangement. Here is a shot I threw together (sorry I swiped your screenshot):http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cf773a8348310b6.jpgRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi Steve,WOW, that trully looks incredible. It kind of shows the concept. Lee's view kind of looks like Pauls "Pilot's VIew" while yours looks like the landing view. One thing to keep in mind is that this panel is not supposed to placee the main 767 Panel but just a replacement of the rear and down views to two forward views. So I really don't see the value of having pop up windows in these views but just a way of getting back to the main panel. I have to tell you that I am very impressed. You did that in 4 hours? Your view really resembles a pilot sitting on the Captain's seat except that you eye should be a little higher and perhaps magnified with a REAR_VIEW_ZOOM. On the pic2k2.zip "VFR panel" the pitch on this view is 2.0 or VIEW_REAR_DIR=2.0, 0.0, 0.0. Also, Are you setting up a different window or modifying one of the default views like rear and down?My other question is what are the type of problems with the gauges that would require you to program in C? In any case what you have done is trully unbelievable. You have great talent... Stay in touch! Best reagrds, Pedro

Hi Lee,Great work! One thought is to set up the view by replacing the FIXED_VIEW_REAR and changing the view direction9that's what Paul did on the 707 panel). The advantage is that it is very clean. Just by pressing the key to look back and locking it you can get the landing view, then by pressing the forward key you are back to the front view again. Download this panel if you don't have it and read his panel.cfg. Maybe you already know this and you want to create a separate window so it's just a suggestion. That view looks great as well. Paul set up 2 views on his panel: a pilot's view (like your) and a landing view (l;ike Steve's). On his panel if you look back you get the pilot's view and if you look down you get the landing view. If you need to do anything else like the FMC or pedestal or whatever then you go back to the main panel. Best Regards, Pedro

Guest ilh

Yep. I already thought of that.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Hi Steve,Just out of curiosity are either you or Lee pilots? If you are don't you long for that feeling you get as you stare forward of the cockpit and glance at your primary attitude instruments? The purpose of the view I have been refering to is to give you the perpective and feel of lfying which few panels do. The main PIC panel while it gives you a great cockpit view at glance it doesn't give me the feeling that I am flying. As a pilot the landing view gives me a more realistic feeling. With the VFR panel (pic2k2.zip) I find myself getting a better depth perception and able to feel like I am making better landings specially crossind landings. Also the perception on rotation seems much more realictic on this view (higher framerates probably helps). Of course taxiing feels more real. To demonstrate what I am talking about (you and Lee), go to TJSJ (Puerto Rico). There are two runways (8 and 10). Set yourself at about 5 miles from runway 10 1500 feet AGL, Flaps 30, 140 knots (20k lbs fuel onboard). The runway course is 102 deg and ILS freq is 109.7. Fly down the ILS for runway 10 then at 500 AGL circle to runway 8. A perfectly executed maneuver will have you roll out on runway 8 heading at about 250-300 feet. Then if you want to make it a bit more interesting set up a wind from 360 at 15 knots and fly it. If you fly the maneuver with the Captain's (like on pic2k2.zip) view you will fly it better and the experience will feel very real. (I have jumpseated on AAL and seen this done on a 757 and UPS DC-8, it really rocks specially at night) Then, do the maneuver with the default panel view and let me know what you think. Take care you guys, Pedro

I happen to be a pilot and my personal opinion is that what's primarily wrong with panel views in the simulators they take up too much space leaving little for outside views. FORWARD-RIGHT view in the 767PIC shows well what the actual visual should be (but then you could not see instruments). What I like abut Lee's version is that about 2/3 of screen is now freed for outside view plus all the essential instruments are still there. I tried landing with no panel at all but found it 'weird'.Michael J.

On a wide view with no panel, I find it weird because I lose perspective/point of reference. With the panel, I can look forward and can adjust attitude from the horizon with the dash as a fixed point of reference.I am finding a .81 zoom forward is giving me a much improved view and feeling of motion, buildings and the runway appears in a much 'better' perspective.Rob.

Hi Michael,Just wondering if you tried the VFR panel and what you thought about it, you can display the airspeed and altitude when in this view. What do you think of the view? Pedro

Pedro,Sorry but I am now a bit confused. Which one is the "VFR" panel ?Michael J.