Sign in to follow this  

VFR Panel View or Landing View for 767 PIC

It is the VFR Panel that shows you the Captains Landing view but doesn't have any gauges. It is pic2k2.zip (a panel.cfg file and bitmap)and you can get it at flightsim.com. This panel and Paul's 707 landing view panel is what triggered this idea.

flightsim.com ?I probably have to do it at 3 am to break into their server ...In the meantime could you post a screenshot or two ?Michael J.

Hi Michael,These is nothing great about this view except for when you are flying with it. You have to try it to see what I am talking about. It's not that it looks great on a screenshot. It would be much better if the gauges were moving. Give me your email adress and I'll send you the file. Pedro

Pedro,Thanks, my email: michaljast@frys.comMichael J.PS. Minutes ago I actually managed to log into flightsim.com file library but after checking all their files that start with pic* I could not find the one you have.

Guest ilh

In January I broke down and got a flightsim.com membership. I'm glad I did as I get in instantly every time and the member servers seem a lot faster. It wasn't very much money considering how much I download from them.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Lee,I finally got the file from Pedro. I still have problem to fully evaluate this panel since its view won't "stick". It switches back to the main panel as soon as I release the key. Anyone here knows how to fix it ?But however clumsy the arrangement I was able to do a couple of landings. The view itself is excellent. The problem is during the flare. Somehow, without true 3D environment I have a hard time evaluating the pitch - precisely. In the PIC I quickly learned that it pays to bring the pitch to this 4-5 deg attitude during flare. Therefore unfortunately the AI is a must for me. If the author of this VFR view included both airspeed and pitch information (just the numbers would be fine) it would be a great alternative.Michael J.

Hi Michael,This is how you make it stick...With Num Lock ONPress 8, As soon as you get the view (still pressing 8)press Num Lock Off, release both keys, Now press Num Lock ONNow, to return just press 8 again. It sounds very complicated until you get the hang of it and then you just do it withjout thinking. About the AI, When I am landing I just hold the pitch on the approach and use the vasi for above or below glideslope, once stabilized and trim you'll just stay on it. Then when I am landing 50, 40, 30, 20 I slowly reduce the power and just think about flaring while I am looking outside just like I would do on the real aircraft. BTW the view that I want to get to work would includes the EADI, Altimeter and AS. Take care, Pedro

Here is an example of why the Captain's View is needed and is a great compliment to 767 PIC.The approach is the Lagoon 8 visual to TJSJ (San Juan Puerto Rico). The approach consists of flying the runway 10 ILS to 400-500 ft AGL and then circling to rwy 8 visually over the lagoon. Following are a series screenshots showing the maneuver from this view...1st screenOn final. Lined up for rwy 10, fully configured. Note the left crosswind from the North. That's why we are still landing runway 8, Runway 10 has a slight tail wind. Also, shorter taxi to the gate (real reason)2nd screenSame view from the Captain's view. Now this perpective makes this visual approach seem more real3rd screenThe beginning of the circle. The only thing in my scan are the runway VASI and the airspeed indicator. The adi is not as important since it is still setup for runway 10, that's why the FD is off...4th screenThe roll out. Notice the aircraft's heading is pointed to the left to correct for the crossdwind. This view makes this very easy to use visual cues without a localizer.5th screenShort final, ,still crabbing into the wind. The GPWS voice is my altitude indicator. Not even scanning that just the airspeed6th screenThe flare and removal of the crab angle with the rudder. Note the change in aircraft headingThis view really allows me to do the maneuver just with visual (VASI and runway) cues, aural (altitude) GPWS cues and airspeed reference. It can also be done with the main panel view but it is not as realistic or as easy to fly. Other advantages are better framerates, better rendition of night lights and better depth perception on short final. Landing in crosswinds also feel more real on this view. Just an example...Regards, Pedro

I remembered the previous version of that VFR panel should include the airspeed, VS, altitude..... It should be helpful parameters. I don't know why the author removed those.

Guest ilh

I do like that view, but personally I HATE instruments that don't do anything. Things like VNAV and M.72 in the landing view would drive me crazy.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Hi Lee,I agree. The whole point of the discussion is that I want to try to create these views with movable gauges. The point about discussing it is that while the panel is great these views are valid enhancements great for landing, takeoff, approach or taxi. On the attached screenshot are different boxes. The blue box is how an amplified view could be used to see the same gauges as in the main panel but somewhat bigger. The yellow box is for what could be the approach/landing view (this is what Steve and I were talking about). The green box is similar to the VFR panel(pic2k2.zip) which could be for visual landings and taxiing (but with moving gagues). Of course the goal would be to have moving gauges on all of them and to be able to switch between them as if you were just looking foward, down, rear, etc... Have you flown with the landing view?What do you think? Pedro

Pedro,The green box has very little information so even if gauges would move - there are no gauges there. But the view itself is excellent. The yellow box has all the essential instruments but the panel still occupies roughly 50% of the screen. It is only a slight improvement over the default view. I still think that Lee's view is the best compromise. Or ... the green box but with airspeed, pitch and altitude information superimposed - perhaps in pure digital form.Michael J.

"The yellow box has all the essential instruments but the panel still occupies roughly 50% of the screen" The idea is to have a panel represent what you see when you are flying and this one does it in my opinion. Lee's panel is just not realistic in my opinion but this is where persnal preferences and experience comes into play. I want the view to show me what I see when I am flying and this view does it. So, I will go ahead and figure out how to make it work. Best Regards,Pedro

Guest ilh

Pedro, I guess I don't fully understand. If you want the green box, you already have it in the pic2k2.zip. That view has practically no instruments in view, so having them active doesn't seem that important. What is it exactly you want? (Not that I can do it.)Also, not all your boxes have a 4:3 aspect ratio, so they don't really represent possible views.I haven't tried pic2k2.zip, but will try it today hopefully.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest ilh

One thing I just learned was that the MCP gauge does cause the fatal FS2002 phone home message. Hopefully that is the only one of interest. It probably isn't kosher to have two copies of the MCP. The yellow view could be adjusted slightly to avoid the MCP entirely. I might take a crack at such a view today. I may have to move the OMI above the RA tape since I plan to cut off everything right of the altimeter.I did a nice visual with short final to KLAS 19R with the VFR view and do like it. It gives you a good sense of perspective. If I come up with anything interesting I will post more shots.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)