Sign in to follow this  

Step Climbing?

Hi everyone this is probably a stupid question but how do you step climb??. I thought you could just re-enter the altitude/speed in to FMC and then confim, and adjust the crusing altitude on the autopilot accordingly e.g to 37000ft instead of 33000ft.I noticed on the FMC there is a section for the step climb, i tried to use it but couldn't figure it out.(I'm flying to Cancun from Manchester(EGCC) and it would be very useful if i knew how to step climb!)PLEASE HELP, ANY HELP APPRECIATED !!!SPEEDBIRD283"THE TEAM WORKS"

Guest ilh

From memory, I think this works:[ol][li] Get ATC clearance for the new flight level. FS ATC cannot do this.[li] Enter the new flight level on the MCP.[li] On VNAV page 2/2 (cruise), enter the new flight level and EXEC.[/ol]I believe at this point if you have VNAV active, VNAV will then perform the step climb.(It's been a while since I step climbed, so I hope I got that correct.)Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest crashing_pilot

you've got a great memory Lee....:-)Tom van der ElstVP C o m p a s s va:-bat