Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

FSmeteo+PIC+VATSIM - pros and cons??

I just want to get some general opinions of the FSmeteo 5.1 product before I go plop down $25 for it... Also, is the FSMeteo Weather Display needed at all?What do you folks who have it find better or worse about it compared to using VATSIM or FS real-world weather. Is it really able to smooth weather transitions? That right there would sell me...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest ilh

I still smooth transition inside FSUIPC.One thing about FSMeteo is it can set up multiple cloud layers. I don't believe SB or FS Real Weather do that. In general, you can get much more interesting skies with FSMeteo.I like it. I don't have the weather display, as I don't really see the point of it. If I want to go check my destination weather, I just alt-tab out of FS and use the main FSMeteo screen.I'm a bit torn about whether or not to use FSMeteo while using SB (VATSIM). You can get different weather from aircraft around you, and you will likely not have quite what the controllers think you have.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest lamont

I've had FSmeteo for some time now and not to long ago added the weather display update. Under FS2000 there are still issues with the display but my understanding running FS2002 it works fine but with some frame rate hit.I do not use it when on Vatsim although there is an option to use Vatsim or FSmeteo weather.I agree with Lee you get much better cloud layers and the default 6 minute update keeps you pretty current. As far as the weather transitions you can tailor the changes via FSmeteo and the FSUIPC module preferences.In summary, it's worth the bucks.

By saying that you can set up multiple layers - you mean you could see clouds way down below you up at cruise and maybe a high cirrus layer above you? That would be cool...I'm waiting to hear Mike Bevington's comments on this as I know from seeing his flightstrips while controlling that he uses FSMeteo online...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Spend the $25, you won't be sorry.The ONLY con to Meteo I see is when the VATSIM weather differs because Meteo is ALWAYS far more up to date than VATSIM/S-box weather....this means you will get the ATC telling you winds from S-Box which do not always conincide with Meteo as VATSIM weather is anywhere from 2-60 hours (no typo ;-) older than Meteo....and as long as the winds in meteo do not conflict with VATSIM to the point where I get a over-limit tail/cross wind, I simply acknowledge the ATC's weather report on final and everyone goes home happy and "none-the-wiser".I know you will enjoy it.Rob.

Guest flightpro08

I have been a happy user of PIC/VATSIM/FSMETEO for sometime now, I can tell tell you it is an absoulutely pefect combination of products. FSMETEO provides you with many features that SB weather does not have. Don't get me wrong, SB weather is pretty good for being freeware, but I would never go back to it after using FSMETEO. Here are a few of my favorite FSMETEO features:1.) You can import an FS2k2 flight plan (I just make an FSNav FP, and export it to a FS2k2 FP, this way I have a route I can see in FSNav, have the FP to import into FSMETEO, and of course, then make a .rte for my PIC767.) When you import a FP into FSMETEO, you will get an extremely detailed report including winds aloft, temperature, expected IAS, and everything in between for your route. This also automatically sets the "Destination Weather" box for your destination, which is nice.2.) Extremely actuarte winds aloft.3.) Updated very often.4.) And finally, it seems to be very acurate. If its raining outside my window, and I load up FS2k2 to my home airport, Orange County John Wayne (KSNA), its also raining. I was always frustrated when I looked out my window and saw rain, but then when I loaded up SB weather, I saw clear skies with ten miles visibility.Overall, I highly recommend the product. The costumer support is fantastic, and you recieve free upgrades when a new version comes out (i.e. I bought version 5.0, and version 5.1 came out, I asked for it, and it was e-mailed same day, can't beat that IMHO) All you should do when flying on VATSIM is simply put "FSMETEO" in your pilot's comments. I both fly and control reguarly on VATSIM, and I've found absolutely no problems on either side of the scope when using FSMETEO. Hope this helps.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Ok thanks for the input guys, I'm not hearing many negative things about it, so I think I'm gonna order it in a bit...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Hi RyanBeing an experienced online controller and pilot, I can tell you that using FSMeteo will, in normal situations, only bring advantages over Vatsim weather. Sometimes however, the winds aloft are a bit strong and while vectoring aircraft, this can cause difficulties. Most controllers who also fly online are aware of this and can adjust their headings so that their course correspond with those that use Vatsim weather.While controlling I use two sources for the weather:One is vatsim'n own weather database and the second is the NOAA database.This way I can see the differences between the two weather systems and can act accordingly if I see discrepancies. I have not yet encountered problems as a controller with pilots who use FSMeteo.As a pilot, I can truly recommend this application as you can plan your flights better using SIGMET charts aswell as finding the best winds aloft from real world charts, as FSMeteo's weather is extremely current.Blue skies (although thats boring) :-)Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest MB327

DITTO DITTO DITTO and DITTOConsidering everything posted above, BUY FSMeteo and USE IT ON VATSIM.I have used FSMeteo weather for all of my 2100 hours on VATSIM. Another cool thing about the up to date WX is that you can pull up a weather radar website, find some really crappy weather, set to that location, and bet that's what you have out your window.Always place "FSMeteo" at the beginning of the "Remarks" section of your flight plan for the benefit of the on line controllers. And remember to do your own checks for conditions and altimeter settings from FSMeteo. I always acknowledge the controller's advisory for altimeter or QNH, then just set to what is shown in FSMeteo. And as Rob discussed, I have never refused a runway assignment because of a wind discrepancy. That just makes things more of a challenge sometimes.

Absolutely. I can't remember the last time I flew without FS Meteo. Flying without real time weather would seem very unnatural now.I've added another window, or another panel icon, to all the AC I regularly fly. Instant access to wx.

They sent me the update, WITHOUT asking!Sweet.WS

Just to strengthen what you have already been told :-) GET IT.I have had Meteo since I started flying with FS98 and always use it when I fly on line (not as frquently as I would like).I also get any update automatically and Marc is a beacon for customer support that a lot of more expensive add-ons could learn from.I just wish the author of my other favourite add-on was as good at customer support (no names given 'cos the add-on itself is very good).Rgds

This is very cool! I like having the multiple cloud layers and as you all said, it's extremely up to date, I pulled up weather.com earlier today and noticed rain between Detroit and Chicago, loaded up FS at KDTW and sure enough there's the overcast and rain in realtime!A couple questions:What settings do you all use in the preferences? I noticed a few wierd things:1. While up at cruise (FL220) between DTW and ORD I was getting a few really quick and abrupt wind changes that were pretty large (+ or - 20 to 30 knots) and they were really making my airspeed go nuts. Is there a way to smooth this out?2. When it updates, it's supposed to gradually phase in the new weather right? A couple times I saw clouds abruptly disappear...Thanks!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Ryan,All adjustable through FSUIPC's and Meteo's Preferences bar. Select about 2 sec/knot in FSUIPC (works for me) and cloud transition rate in Meteo to say 300 or so.Greg