Sign in to follow this  

Some Question About PIC!?!?!?!?

Hey all, I recently bought 767 PIC, and I am loving it....I know how to program the FMC and such for a flight, I know all the systems but I have a few questions.1). in VNAV mode, is there suppose to be such a high rate of climb? I got 4000 FPM after take-off?2). What is the Cost Index and how can I figure that out?3). what is the "Step-Size" and how can I figure that out?thanks for any responds!P.S I read through the FMC and PIC manual and couldn't find the answers.

Guest KB

Hi and welcome to PIC!1) Quite normal especially if you are at low weights. As long as speed is normal everything should be ok.2)Cost Index is way of determining the ECON SPD that the FMC calculates. A low CI means good fuel economy but low speed. A high CI means a fast flight with a high fuel consumption. You can enter any value between 0 and 999 (I think). 80 is normal and will give you a cruise speed of around M.80.3)Step size is the size of the calculated step climbs. The standard ICAO entry will give you 4000 feet (FL330-FL370-FL410 or FL310-FL350-FL390-FL430) and that's appropriate for non-RVSM airspace. For RVSM airspace (for example Europe and the North Atlantic), enter 2000. That will give you steps like FL320-FL340-FL360 and so on.Hope that cleared something up.Regards,Karl

Ok thanks, So what should I put in the "Step-Size" entry feild though...Guess I missed that???

Guest ilh

If you want a lower rate of initial climb, try CLB1 or CLB2, but make sure you switch to straight CLB somewhere around FL150-FL250 (depending on weight) or you might not make it up to your cruise level.You can also use reduced takeoff thrust be setting an assumed temperature of say 45-65C on the takeoff page.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest KenG

Either leave it as ICAO or enter a value of 2000 if in RVSM airspace.

Guest Ian_Riddell

"but make sure you switch to straight CLB somewhere around FL150-FL250 (depending on weight) or you might not make it up to your cruise level."Doesn't PIC model thrust derate washout as the aircraft climbs... as discussed a few days ago, Lee?

Guest ilh

It doesn't look like it. Up at FL300, I'm seeing CLB 104%, CLB1 96%, and CLB2 92%.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

PIC apparently does not model derate-washout as the actual AA 767 it was modelled after does not have that feature. I understand it is an option that can be selected by the airline and AA opted not to have the auto derate-washout whereas many other airlines opted for it.Regards,Russell J.