Sign in to follow this  
Guest J_Niny

TCAS for PIC

Guest J_Niny

Today I found a ND (Boeing style) with a TCAS, at Project Magenta`s Site. The TCAS shows AI and online aircrafts, and it works pretty well with PIC. The only little problem is that the program runs out of the FS2k2 and we have to place it on a second monitor to have acess to it, when running FS2k2 on full screen mode. The file`s name is pmTCAS and it

Hi there,I just downloaded it and it looks good. The only downside, of course, being that it runs outside FS. This got me thinking, wouldn't it be possible to design a transparent TCAS gauge that can be superimposed over the PIC ND? Not being a gauge designer, I think the only problem would be with the range selection, i.e. it would only work accurately at one range, say 20nm, unless it can be coupled to the PIC ND range selector (which I believe would mean altering PIC programming, so probably not the way to go). I wonder if this would be possible, or am I missing something here?Cheers,Gosta.

Guest KB

Actually I think the American 767's has their TCAS on the VSI. Would be really nice to have on VATSIM but I don't know how possible it is.

Hello I do not see the traffics? the remainder functions. Do I have to install WIDEFS? can you help me F-at27

Guest J_Niny

>I do not see the traffics? Hi Saofe,are you referring to AI or Online traffics? I didn`t test the program at VATSIM yet, but seems that it just need WhazzUp latest version.You may ask some help at the Project Magenta Newsgroup: http://www.projectmagenta.com/resources/newsgroup.htmlRegards,Jorge

hi jorgeI speak to see the planes of WHAZZUP on IVAO or WATSIM. I do not see anything which resembles the photographs present on the Magenta Project site. one thing. On does the photographs appear in bottom left and wrote in blue "TFC ALL"? I can't see that on mythx Saofe. F-AT27

HiI`ve been using this gauge in WideFS for awhile now.Very nice on Vatsim.You got to like the price too(free).Ron

Guest Ian_Riddell

In case the real pilots were wondering about the authenticity of a having a 3 digit TCAS readout next to each target (normally, the max range is +/-27(00) feet ...with an option to go up to +/-7000 feet.... Here's a shot of a 3-digit readout on a 747-400.http://www.ozemail.com.au/~iriddell/JA8911TCAStest.jpgCheers.Ian.

Yes, I've heard that - I suppose that would explain the different case colours of the VSI. I've looked at some pictures on Airliner.net and there were some VSI gauges, which were nearly square and with hardly any numbers on them, just a few notches - I suppose, those could have a TCAS screen integrated. To do one of those would mean designing an entirely new gauge to replace the current VSI, I don't think superimposing a transparent gauge over the existing VSI would work; however, it would get rid of the range selection problem.Cheers,Gosta.

How did you set your up to use on VATSIM. I run PmTCAS on my second system along with WideFS, SB, RW, etc. Could you give me setup instructions.ThanksDan

There is no TCAS display on the VSI. What you are looking at is a VSI capable of providing RA's. Actual traffic is displayed on a map display such as the ND. It makes more sense that way. However, should traffic pose enough of a threat to warrant a Resolution Advisory, that RA is presented to the pilot in the form of colored borders on the VSI. The pilot is to keep the aircraft's rate of climb outside of the red areas in order to avoid the traffic. TCAS provides RAs only in the vertical plane. The VSI is only used to display it's commands, in the form of a climb, descent or level flight.In order to make the VSI relevant in MSFS for TCAS functions, you will need to program an ability to sense traffic and then provide vertical avoidance commands.

I see. Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest Martin

Are you sure about this? I didn't find any good photos, but this one shows an airplane symbol on the VSI, and I have seen other photos with traffic symbols around it.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/032267/M/Well, I guess Ian will chime in to set things straight. :-waveMartin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

That is an interesting picture. I've never seen one like that. What brand is that? All the TCAS systems I've used or seen only use the VSI for RAs. But we'll let Ian sort it out, since he fixes 'em, and I only know enough to break 'em. :-badteeth

How Difficult is to build a TCAS gauge using the Easy Gauge Program and after the TCAS is finished create a transparent VSI on it? will that do?