Sign in to follow this  
Peter Clark

Interesting weather in KBOS, anyone up for this METAR?

OK, so here we are 7:40 with a line of real bad thunderstorms heading towards KBOS. Current METAR:2002/05/31 23:12ZKBOS 312312Z 19019G31KT 4SM -TSRA BR SCT020CB BKN041 OVC100 20/18 A2953 RMK A02 PK WND 19031/2303 TS OHD-N-E-S MOV SE FQT LTGICCG P0006So, I have the basics here (winds 190 19 gust 31, 4sm vis, peak wind, altimeter 2953) but anyone want to do a full decode of that METAR?I'm wondering at what point the airport just puts thigns into holding patterns and waits for these things to pull off... Doesn't look like it would be any fun trying to actually be up there tonight!Thanks!P

OK....how about this:wind: 190 at 19 kts gusting to 31 kts. 4 sm visibility in thunderstorms, light rain and haze. 2000' scattered cumulonimbus, 4,100' broken, 10,000' overcast. Temperature 20, dewpoint 18, altimeter setting 29.53" hg. Remarks: peak gust was 190 at 31 kts occuring at 2303z. Thunderstorm overhead, north, east, and south moving southeast. Frequent lightning in cloud and cloud to ground. I believe the A02 in the remarks tells us that the automated weather reporting has a precipitation discriminator (the machine can tell the difference between rain and snow etc), and the P0006 means that .06 inches of rain has fallen since the last report. Interesting note is that the "-" before the tsrw some say means light thunderstorm and rainshowers. But, in over 4,000 hours of real world flying I have yet to see a "light" thunderstorm. I'm definately not going to fly into one. :-)