Sign in to follow this  

Most suitable VA for flying with PIC?

Guys, Any thought as to which are the "best" VA's for flying with PIC 767? I'm already a member of CPAV but of course CX don't fly the 763. TIANeil

Hi Neil,you could check out BA Virtual (www.bavirtual.co.uk), like the real BA, they fly the 767 on a lot of routes, from short European flights to long haul.Cheers,Gosta.

Bob, was I rejected? I'm still waiting for my pilot number (my email is jaltuve@chevere.com)

HI AllOkay Bob, I will take a look! I've joined up with BAVirtual but when I read "make sure you set your internet security to LOW" in order to access the member content, I start to wonder about the admin side of it...maybe I'm being picky but advice about cookie handling and trusted sites would be a lot more sound.Best regards//Neil

Hi Neil,as far as BA Virtual and their cookies are concerned, it is just that their forum is handled by a third party, so if you have set your internet security to 'medium' or above, any third-party cookies will be blocked, so you won't be able to log into the forums. So, if you set your security settings to low, third-party cookies will be allowed and you'll have no problem using the site. However, if you do not like to set your security level that low - I know I don't - you can choose the highest setting and custumize it by choosing 'prompt on third-party cookies', or words to that effect. That should give you full access - BAV does not dump a lot of junk on your computer.Hope this helps.Cheers,Gosta.

Hi GostaYeah, I know - that was my point though: less technical users who do set their security to "low" are compromising their system. How to set the custom options should be explained clearly in the way CPAV do it. Anyway I'm quite happy with their operations otherwise, pretty slick.Best regards//Neil

Hi Neil,I see your point - maybe they could include a link, like 'Your security needs to be set to low, click here to learn why'. That way there wouldn't be too much text clogging up the main site, but the full explanation would still be there.Cheers,Gosta.

Hi gostaI know I'm "splitting hairs" because I make a living by being pedantic - imagine planning and documenting 24,000 IBM mainframe identifiers for an airline...get them wrong and that freighter goes nowhere because the cargo loading application won't initialize...The first thing I thought was "they want me to set my browser's security to a generally low level by moving that slider" which of course is not their intention, but it's not communicated properly. Somewhere else they do state the IP address to use, but by the time you read that....well, it could be days later...Otherwise, I'm very happy with their services and I flew PIC UK-Tanzania for my first flight. I've never been to Africa before, either real or virtually. Shame it was dark! :)Best regards//Neil

Hi Neil,as a lawyer I know about being pedantic :), but as far as cookies are concerned it's usually just an annoyance to me - if a site tries to put too many on my computer, I usually just don't bother with looking at it any further - Virgin Atlantic, for example, are not going to win me as a customer, I gave up on their website after about 70 cookies (no joke - check it out). With BAV, though, you can navigate the entire website with high security settings, and by the time you get to the forums, you'll probably have stumbled across the bit explaining which IP address to use.Anyway, glad to see you like BAV - I usually fly the shorter routes (I don't have the time for the really long ones), but I've flown around Africa a few times. There's some good freeware scenery out there covering quite a few of the major airports, just check the usual sites.Cheers,Gosta.

You can always fly with is Polarairways.comNo strings attached.........

Hi,Yes, I'm very pleased with BAV...when I've finished downloading the Project AI release, I'll take a look at PolarAirways also...variety is the spice of life...shame I can't spice up my paltry POTS connection :(( so I could do both at once.Best regards//Neil

HiIs that Virgin real-life or virtual? I've never flown with them but I've heard some horror stories about their ISP, and I don't like their cola :() I fly Emirates a lot to Philippines because my fiancee is there at present.I wish I didn't have time for long flights, but sadly I do because the IT market in the UK is very depressed and doesn't look like improving. I'm now trying to get a place training with NATS here to be a controller because it's interesting, well-paid and I think I've got a suitable degree of high-pressure, analytical work behind me.Best regards//Neil

Hi Neil,it's Virgin Atlantic, the real thing. I know what you mean about the IT market, it's the same here (CYVR), my wife's been looking for ages for a suitable job...Cheers,Gosta.