Sign in to follow this  

SDR versus DDR

Hi alltoday I finally appreciate in all its glory 767PIC (and FS2002). Why? because I took the plunge and changed my MB for one that runs DDR memory instead of SDR. The difference is awesome there is no comparison. If your thinking of upgrading and running the old SDR consider first just changing your MB and Memory, UNBELIEVABLE. FLY SAFELY wings737

HiGood for you!Nice to see an emphatic answer about this kind of upgrade but...What CPU, OS and Graphics card are you using?What exactly are the improvements?I'm running an AMD XP1800+ with 512MB PC133 and Radeon 7500 and at Heathrow with 100% AI traffic and all sliders on MAX except aircraft textures on high I get 12-14 FPS on takeoff roll and it's far from smooth. I'm wary about upgrading to DDR if the performance increase is minimal in "real-world".Best regards//Neil

Hi NeilOK, AMD 1.3, Asus GeForce 3 64meg, 256 DDR 2100 memory (getting another 256 next week)and with EVERYTHING ON 18-22 farmes second and SMOOTH at EGLL rwy 27L. Previously I would have been lucky to get 8 frames a second. Go DDR go. FLY SAFELY.wings737

HiCripes, that's incredible! I had been led to believe there would be maybe a 5% speed increase. What M/B are you using? Is that with 100% AI traffic? I used to find AI traffic a killer but with the newer ATI drivers it doesn't seem to make such a difference.Neil

Neilthats with 100% traffic AND real weather on and its hissing down.wings737

Neilsorry forgot the MB. Itrs a "IWILL KA266-R" wings737

HiThanks for the info. As soon as the IRS eventually pay me my 2,500 quid overseas dual tax, some of it will go on the machine, along with yoke, throttle and pedals most likely. How I regret that MS FF 2! :((CheersNeil

Guest Lenny Zaman

A friend of mine has got RDR RAM, anyone know what this is ? thanks in advance

HiRDRAM, or RAMBUS RAM. Used with Pentium 4 processors. Apparently, according to "PC Format" Magazine, with the new Northwood P4's the latest RDRAM performs up to 50% faster than DDR, now that Intel has decided to support DDR :)Hope this helpsBest regards//Neil

Hi Ianthanks for that info, after only just upgrading to a MB that takes DDR I think I might wait a while before I can justify ANOTHER upgrade. I intend to go to an XP 1900/2000 in the next couple of months and hopefully that will suffice for 12 months or so. FLY SAFELYwings737

Im awaiting a dispursment from my former employer on some stocks I had with them before my facility was closed last fall.I am planning on building from scatch a system for MSFS.Proposed hardwareMSI KT3 6380 ultra pro MBAMD 1800+ CPU512 DDRMSI GF4ti4400 Vid card-----any better suggestions(manufactures)SB Live 5.1 Sound----was planning on a SB audigy but told not worth itWinXP----any one have Vid drvers suggestions.2 additional case fans, I want it running cool.I dont care about frame rates as long as I can get liquidity in frame flow, it doesent matter to me if I am 13-18fps or 25-40fps I just want it smooth and studder free even with SimFlyer scenerys and PSS/DF/PIC and squawkbox Vatsim.Before I buy my Video card I am going to see how the above componentshandle my GF3ti20064 cardhttp://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...9d503cc53ab.jpg

Hiyour proposed system looks pretty impressive. Just a small snippet for you that I use. I have s/glued an additional cooler fan onto the side of my h/sink, one sucks and one blows and it achieves another 3 or 4 degrees cooling. Worth considering.Like you and no doubt every one else I too am striving for a stutter free sim, my upgrade to DDR has in most achieved this. FLY SAFELYwings737;)

Guest Lenny Zaman

i have 256SDR ram(PC133); but i don't think my mobo supports DDR, could this be possible?any help would be appreciated cuz landing at some scenery with 2-3fps is really tricky.. it comes down to 'thinking' of what the a/c is doing without seeing it, i'm getting quite good at it now.... lol, but otherly i just fly in fps-friendly scenery :)

LennyIt is quite possible your MB does not support DDR, there are boards out there that do support both SDR and DDR but you will need to consult your MB manual, hence the need for me to upgrade both the MB and DDR2100 memory from SDR 100. The improvement is beyond belief. Good luck and FLY SAFELY. wings737