Sign in to follow this  

DME Arc in 767PIC?

Is the 767PIC FMS capable of flying a DME arc under LNAV, more to the point can the real 767 FMC do it?

The real plane can fly an arc in LNAV mode, but has to be programmed specially. There is no way a pilot can program a true arc manually. The arcs that are required for approaches are stored in the FMS database.By true arc I mean a real constant turning arc. What you can do, is create many PBD's to form an arc.For example, lets say you want to fly a 12 mile arc from MLE (Male, VRMM, standard approach from the north for runway 36)So you look up the first radial you will join the arc. Then you look at the exiting radial. For this example, we'll use the 326 radial as our starting point and 194 as our exiting radial. To make a perfect arc, you'd have to create a waypoint every degree in between. This would take a long time, so lets use something more useful, like a 10 degree distance. 5 degrees would work aswell, but it would take twice the time.So here we go: call up the legs page (Rte page works aswell, but I prefer the legs page for these kind of operations)insert these PBD's:MLE326/12MLE316/12MLE306/12MLE296/12MLE286/12MLE276/12MLE266/12MLE256/12MLE256/12MLE246/12MLE236/12MLE226/12MLE216/12MLE206/12MLE196/12and last but not leastMLE194/12now if you look at the route, either in MAP mode if you are at VRMM or in PLAN mode (use the step prompt to walk through the waypoints) you'll see a pretty nice arc. Remember though that LNAV will simply always fly to the next waypoint, and you will not have a constant bank angle during the arc. You can however fly it manually. A 5 degree bank angle should do the trick.Hope this answers your question,Greetings,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest B1900 Mech

When I worked an F-15 maintaince contract for Lockheed, I made employee of the month. My reward was a parking spot next to the front door of the hanger, and one hour of flight time in the F-15C flight Sim. I remember doing a dme arc approach to Otis ANGB in Massachusetts, and the a/c had a CDI type needle on the bottom of the HSI that gave you a deviation indication while flying the arc. I have never seen this elseware. The military has some new wave equipment that we civvie's have to wait for. :)

Guest Ian_Bowden

All I do, if not flying it manually, is put the fix and the distance of the arc (eg ALT (alicante) 20DME and use hdg sel.IanEGNT

That is the way I do it to, just follow the dashed line using the heading bug or manually, with a fix point just before the inbound turn point.No biggeeTimothy