bump heheGary HayesLevel-D Simulations Development TeamNo im not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.P4 3.0ghz w/HT & FSB..Radeon X850XT 256MB..1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM..Sound Blaster Audigy w/5.1 THX

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

BUMP!!!After 4 years this thread makes me laugh hysterically. I vote that this thread be designated a National Monument and law passed that it never be destroyed.The Lotto Machine is Broken HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bump to get Ferd into 2007.Greetings Eric from Eham.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

2007 Update...During a recent trip to Seattle, I met up with Mike Singer (MS ACES writer and bon vivant) and Mike Ray (checkride guru for the 74/75/76 (and soon another aircraft). It was very secretive stuff, so I can't go into details. BUT, what I can tell you is, I met FERD!Mike, Mike and I were having lunch at the Jimmy Mac's (http://www.jimmymacsroadhouse.com/) in Renton. We were discussing the minutiae of the Boeing FMC when we heard an absolute ruckus being kicked up across the restaurant. A small bearded man was motioning vehemently at the roof, repeating... "announcementy... announcementy... announcementy...". The restaurant went very quiet. I think most of us felt that the man was probably inebriated (even though it was lunchtime). The manager came over to the table to see what the problem was. Mike Singer started laughing. Both Mike R and I asked him what was so funny."Oh, I know that guy. He works at Microsoft," Mike S said."That guy works at MS?" Mike R asked."Yeah, Ferd joined us last year to introduce some new features on the new version of FS," Mike S said.Ferd? Ferd? I thought. Could it be? I had a very sick feeling in my stomach - it could have had something to do with the pulled pork I had for lunch - but I think you know what I was thinking..."Ferd?" I asked aloud."Yeah, Ferd Berful... he's pretty out there. Do you know him?" Mike S asked."Yeah, I think I do," I told him. "What did he work on for FSX?"There was a LONG pause. Mike S smiled."He worked on increasing the frame rate performance of FSX...";)http://www.members.shaw.ca/shuttleworth/ds2.gif

The SUPPORT FORUM for Level-D Simulations products: http://www.leveldsim.com/forums

LVLDF1.gif

It's great to hear that he is a real person, I was beginning to think of him as almost god like. In fact now I know he works for MS it is sending him in the other direction! PS Think I'll stay away from FSX. I'll wait for the next one....RegardsPaul

Paul Edwards

Guest Knikolaes

I would have DEFINITELY loved to have been there for that. That sounds almost surreal. **smiles**

When Ferd first showed up, I told him, "Ferd, Microsoft is a tough place to work. You'll feel overwhelmed much of the time. Too many projects, too many tasks, too many meetings, too much email to read. If you want to succeed here, just remember this: no matter how tough things get, keep moving and don't sink!"A few weeks ago over dinner at Ponderosa, Ferd confided to me that all these months he thought I had said, "Don't think."Now all is clear. ;-)Mikehttp://informationmike.spaces.live.comhttp://www.fsinsider.com

Guest MB327

My all time favorite thread. And it's about nothing.

Guest jamesjv8

Amen to that Mike!Jason Vodnansky

Was Ponderosa's "Hoss" Ferd's father?Eric Haas "Hoss" Cartwright was the middle son of Ben Cartwright and his wife, Inger, who was killed in an Indian attack on the wagon train journey west. Hoss was a man of contrasts; he was big, strong, and a formidable opponent. Yet, he was also gentle, sweet, and good-natured. Although he was the biggest and most physically powerful, he had a heart of gold and in many ways, Hoss was the most endearing member of the family. Because of his position as the middle child and his good nature, Hoss was often called upon to keep the peace between his older and younger brothers, Adam and Little Joe. Hoss' personality made it easier for him to get along with both his brothers, despite their differences. In fact, Hoss' kindness enabled him to get along with most folks; he often brought home "strays"---both human and animal to care for and help them get a new start in life. His kindness and good nature frequently made him easy prey for people who were not really what they appeared to be. His faith in people sometimes led to his being hurt, but also many times, his faith in people worked to rehabilitate them. Hoss' innocence was manifested often times with his brothers as gullibility to practical jokes. He was especially prone to be part of Joe's get-rich-quick schemes. Although generally slow to anger, Hoss was fiercely protective of his younger brother, Joe. Hoss demonstrated over and over again that he would not tolerate anyone messing with his little brother, a fact that probably saved Joe's life many times. In addition to frequently rescuing Little Joe, Hoss was always ready to defend the underdog and using his great strength to protect those who could not defend themselves. In stark contrast to his siblings, Hoss was an extremely fine aviator. He spent many hours in his Ponskey buzzing the treetops and spooking the cattle.http://www.members.shaw.ca/shuttleworth/ds2.gif

The SUPPORT FORUM for Level-D Simulations products: http://www.leveldsim.com/forums

LVLDF1.gif

Ah! But what about Avsim's own Steve "Bear" Cartwright? He even lives in the Reno area! The thick plottens! ;)

BobK

>Perhaps the batteries in Ferd's computerized language>translator are going flat? ;-)Maybe he's getting help from the twins, Simon and Garfarkel?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I fear you were hallucinating, probably from banging your head on a table after slipping on one of the peanut shells on Jimmy Mac's floor.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Guest pilot_guru

>Ah! But what about Avsim's own Steve "Bear" Cartwright? He>even lives in the Reno area! The thick plottens! ;)......then that means Steve is Ben Cartwrights grandson? and Hoss is Steves uncle? Is Steve now living at the Ponderosa? Does Steve drive a horse too? How many horse power is Steves horse?

Guest MB327

Hoss was from the small town of Kewanee Illinois, hog capital of the world - so the annual Hog Days homecoming boasts. It may be the only place on earth with a serious Hog Queen beauty pageant. I am telling you this for a reason yet to be understood by me or anyone else. It is the new proximity of this thread as it relates to incomparable levels of thought which inspires new hope and good planning for a future where to patch is the question.