Sign in to follow this  
Guest ielchitz

767 and CATIII

Guest ielchitz

Question,Just like a pilot must perform 1/X landings manually to stay current - does an aircraft have to perform CATIII approach 1/Y landings to keep the equipment certified?I just flew a full autoland into Las Vegas (ya it's funny the visual 19R gets old after 250 times or so ) and it was actually quite interesting to see how well the aircraft performs as I sit back and put my feet up .Ian Elchitz

Guest ilh

Obviously someone more knowledgable will answer, but I am pretty sure that not only does an aircraft have to perform 1/Y landings (perhaps once a month?) to stay current, cut crew members have to perform 1/Z (perhaps with Z=Y) to stay current as well. Both the aircraft and crew have to be certified for Cat III (and II?).Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest Martin

Does KLAS have a CATII/III certified approach? Or isn't that a requirement for making an autoland (even for practise)?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest ielchitz

>Does KLAS have a CATII/III certified approach?Nope.> Or isn't that a requirement for making an autoland (even for practise)? I bet it is a requirement .Good point Martin.Ian.

hi Ian , nice to see you on board again ! i would believe that at least one automatic approach must or should be performed every six months or so. correct me if iam wrong, anyone?now i do have a question as well, if i would plan a CAT II orIII for practice purpose have i to advise or make a request to ATC ?Henry. CYXT

I've got the ITVV video of a British Midland Fokker 100 making a practice autoland at EGNX, and in that permission had to be requested from ATC.Not only do the crew, runway, and aircraft have to be certified, but ATC have to ensure and confirm that no ground vehicles are anywhere near the ILS ground transmitters (I presume they could generate some sort of false return).Sunray

Guest HPSOV

Our aircraft must perform an autoland every 45 days to stay current, each time an autoland is performed a lot of paperwork must be completed documenting how effective the autoland was.If the aircraft exceeds 45 days then it must be re-certified, which is a long process, so pilots must ensure they do an autoland if the 45 days is getting close.From a pilots point of view performing an autoland is a lot more stessful than a manual landing, because it is generally in bad weather, and you must sit there waititng for somethnig to go wrong....We are only allowed to perform autolands to runways which have been approved by our company, based on the accuracy/calibration of the ILS system, and the possibility of interferance from terrain/buildings etc.If performing an autoland in marginal weather ATC must ensure that the "critical" areas are kept clear of traffic. If doing an autolan in VMC there is really no need to inform ATC.