Sign in to follow this  

IFR Flight Without The FMC-----Is It possible?

I know real airliners fly with FMC's but is there a way i can fly the 767 like the FS default airliners using the autopilot?..Like me doing all the adjustments on the autopilot. I'm asking because there is no way i can change headings on the PIC autopilot like i can on the default planes or is there a way i just don't know about?

well you can always not use the FMC LNAV and VNAV you can work with just heading and altitude controls and fly your flight plan manually by entering VOR stations and flying towards them just like if you were flying a C172

Yes, you can use the APFD panel and all its modes with the exception of VNAV & LNAV. But you definitely will be able to fly ILS approaches.Michael J.

ok maybe i missed something...everytime I turn on the autopilot it automatically locks the heading selector and levels the wings and I can't change headings, whats wrong?

Nothing wrong .. welcome to the real world. This is how majority of real autopilots work. You got to stop this bad habit (I guess left over from the FS2000/FS98 days) of using ALT HOLD and then making manual turns. It can't be done in real life. Not in 767, 737, 747, King Air, Bombardier and practically all business aircraft over 12,000 lbs. Use HDG SEL if you want to turn your aircraft - it is not only easier and more precise - it is safer. You could do it in FS2000 only because it was a BUG.If you attempted to do it in real life - trying to turn the airplane with AP engaged - after applying sufficient force the AP would disconnect.Basic rule: either you fly the aircraft or the autopilot but never both. A pilot may go to jail for violating this rule:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8Michael J.

no no you got me all wrong...I know planes turn headings using the heading selector on the flight director, but what im saying is that I can't do that exactly, I can't change the heading on the AP.

.. then you got some very basic problems operating the panel. Got to read the manual. It all works very well I can assure you. Pages 21-25, 52.Michael J.

"RE: IFR Flight Without The FMC-----Is It possible?"The reason they got you all wrong is because you are asking if you can fly without the FMC, answer is yes, but you are really asking why you can not turn the heading knob on the heading selectorYour subject should read:"Flying on autopilot without being able to turn the heading selector--- Is it possible?'Just kidding, ha ha ha You are probablty the first person that I have heard not being able to turn the heading knob. Do you know where to click? There must be another problem, bad installation?Post a screenshot showing where you are pressing on the heading knob please. Pedro

in this screenshot it shows what is selected on the autopilot as soon as I turn on the autopilot.Notice how the heading button also turns on when i turn on the AP.http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/juansalas/tn_autopilot.jpgI change the numbers on the heading selector and it dont do anything..does'nt turn the plane anywhere.

You nailed the point on the head Tabs.This autopilot work exactly as its supposed to. When you first engage the AP, it will HOLD the current heading. Clicking the center of the heading knob will change the mode to Heading SELECT, and the AP will turn towards the heading displayed in the window.You realize how perfect this functionality works when you learn how to use it effectively. For example, when flying on VASTIM and descending into a busy airport under positive control (i.e. controllers giving you vectors), I will get my 1st vector from the controller and turn to it using heading select. THEN, once I've rolled out on that heading, I'll switch the AP to heading HOLD. Next, I'll turn the HDG knob to the next expected heading (or at least in that general direction. Knowing the normal approach procedures for an airspace really helps here :) )And here is the beauty of this panel

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

>in this screenshot Am I supposed to see some screenshot ? I see nothing. :-hmmmMichael J.

I'm sorry guys that screenshot doesn't show right sometimes...anyways I wanna thank "Tabs" and the rest of you'll guys for your input, by clicking on the center of the HDG knob fixed my problem, thanks alot!

Hey Arthur,The more you use this panel, the more you will be impressed with its fidelity compared to the real thing. (isn't that we are striving for here? :) )As Tabs said, dig into the manuals and fly with them safely secured to your lap. As any person who controls on VATSIM can attest, guiding a proficient 767PIC pilot through their airspace is a satisfying experience! :) And they will appreciate your efforts to become a better pilot and make THEIR experience more realistic.Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest Martin

>THEN, once I've rolled out on that heading, I'll switch the >AP to heading HOLD.Why don't just leave it in HDG SEL? Why the extra workload? Say you are flying under LNAV, and then get a vector, left to heading 270. You engage HDG SEL (as soon as you hear "turn"), which, if you are a good pilot ;-), should already be set to your current heading, and you turn the knob to the left until it shows 270. (If you're not a good pilot, the selected heading might not be the same as the current, but then you can of course stay with LNAV until you have turned the knob.)You roll out on heading 270, and stay in HDG SEL mode until you get another vector, and then you just turn the knob.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

I ought to try out that Vatsim some time I've heard alot of cool experiences from other simmers from it, anyways you're right Steve I got to stick to that manual although I'm pretty sure to miss some things and have this forum to fall back on for those little things.