Sign in to follow this  

PIC Problems

Hi All,Having bought PIC after reading this news group, I was dying to try it out myself. Unfortunately some problems:1: PIC was installed under Win2K, fresh install on a new drive2: Full install of Win2K Service pack 23: DirectX 8.14: FS2002 full install5: PIC from the CD6: Patch 1.0 to 1.2When I start PIC, I get the quicktips window. Soon as I click on anything, FS dies. I tried unistall/reinstall several times. Same scenario.Then, I loaded a different aircraft, selected PIC menu (hoping to disable QuickTips). Again, soon as I click on anything in the PIC windows, FS crashes hard.So, a couple of question:1: How do I disable QuickTips without going through the menu options? (where is the config info for this to switch it off?)2: Anyone else having probs under Win2K?Hopefully someone will be able to shed light on this. For the record, PSS Airbus works just fine. I dont have FSUIPC or any other modules installed at all. Looks like a problem with the PIC resources, if I had to guess.Help welcome, thanks in advanceDave T

Ok this should be the install process:1. Install FS20022. Install PIC from the CD3. Install the FS2002 patch4. Install the latest version of FSUPIC from http://www.schiratti.comI'm puzzled by how you're even running anything without FSUPIC - the Airbus absolutely requires it, as does PIC.Another thought - what's preventing you from using Windows XP - I've found it to be a great OS for FS. Also, post your system specs, especially your video and sound cards...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Wade,sorry for stepping on your toes, but that doesn't help Dave, the original poster. He already said he doesn't have FSUIPC (although I doubt that, as far as I know, it installs automatically with the PSS Airbus). He also may have pin-pointed the problem correctly to the 'QuickTips' screen, as this has caused problems with other OS (see http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID33 ).I did a search on the forum, and it did not reveal anything relevant to Dave's problem in Win2000. Considering that with PIC you set the realism standard over two FS generations, please don't become complacent (although you have every right to), and just tell the man how to disable the friggin 'QuickTips'.Cheers,Gosta.

>6: Patch 1.0 to 1.2< ?????The boxed version of PIC is 1.0, the patch for FS2000 upgrades to version 1.1 , the upgrade to FS2002 is version 1.2May I refer you back to your original link and suggest you read the instructions:http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/efpanels/Cheers,Gosta.

Gentlemen,Thanks for the tips. The problem is definately not related to FSUIPC (I have the latest version) - its a PIC menu/quicktips problem for sure.So, please,please,please, how do I disable this facility? I've searched everwhere and can find no clue as to how to do this.If I can disable this, I'd at least be able to fly the damn thing!Regards and thanksDave(And I'm using Win2k because I dont fancy spending $200 per machine for XP.)

THanks for the tip. I've tried what you suggest, the problem I have is that as soon as I click on the quickip window, FS crashes (I get the "send report to MS" dialog)RegardsDave T

Gosta,If you read Wade's post correctly it states one and one thing only - that FSUIPC is not needed for the PIC - so in essence it addresses Tabs' post which could confuse some. I am glad Wade posted this - the relation between the FSUIPC and the PIC was not perfectly clear even to me. His post was not meant as a reply to Dave's problem so no need to "stepping on his toes" on your part. Michael J.

Hi Dave. In the FS2002 directory you will see a file called B767W.ini.Open that with a text editor and change the line:TIP_AT_STARTUP=1to readTIP_AT_STARTUP=0Regards,Wade

Thanks Wade, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.RegardsDave T