Sign in to follow this  

FSUIPC + Rudder control

Anyone had some time to experiment with the new FSUIPC that control spurrious rudder commands? Is it better?Anyone using an MS FF Stick (no pedals) can suggest the best set up / configuration...i.e. Auto-Rudder on/off? Yaw Damper on/off? Rudder Effectiveness 24.0?Please and thanks for the input from the Gunea Pigs ;-)Rob.

It stops the spurious rudder commands, making the rudder behavior equivalent to what it was back in fs2000. Therefore, very high rudder_effectiveness numbers are not required since the aircraft can be flown with yaw damp off. Use a number such as 4 or so. During takeoff and landing, you should turn off both yaw damp switches as was done with fs2000.Your choice of either applying the fix so that PIC works as it used to, meaning you should reset the rudder_effectiveness lower and then turn off both yaw damps during takeoff and landing or not applying it and then turning only the right yaw damp off during takeoff and landing. However, with any version of fsuipc higher than 2.85, you will need to turn the right yaw damp switch off during takeoff landing and V1 cuts because of the restored auto-rudder function.This all sounds confusing but will be clear once you try it yourself.

Thanks Kevin...With NO pedals, and using an MS FF Stick with limited rudder control, I "should" leave the Auto-Rudder ON or OFF?Rob.

I've never used a twist grip for the yaw axis so I am not sure I know what you mean by "limited" rudder control. But if the twist grip controls your rudder like the pedals do, there should be no difference between what you do with a twist grip or true rudder pedals, unless the twist grip device introduces other technical or ergonomic problems to the equation. All the fix does is eliminate the rudder spikes. You should do whatever it was you used to do to use the rudder before you realized the rudder was spiking on you. I would tend to think that you want your auto-rudder OFF (menu and switchwise)since anytime you have auto-rudder ON, you will have difficulty with cross controlled flight.

Guest Martin

You should leave Auto-Rudder (i.e. the right Yaw Damper switch) OFF for takeoff and landing. During all other phases of flight, you might want to have it ON for auto-coordination.BTW, Kevin, that wasn't confusing at all! :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Martin - Kevin - thanks for the input.Rob.

Guest Martin

By "limited" rudder control I'm sure he means that the twist isn't a very effective or accurate way of controlling the rudder. It only twists about 20-30 degrees in either direction. This is only about a centimeter of travel, which should be FULL rudder deflection. So in 1 cm you have to be able to set just as much rudder as you desire, while moving the stick at the same time.To put it short, it's practically impossible to have good rudder control with the twist, at least when it comes to crosswind landings, IMO. I can do a V1 cut, but it sure doesn't look pretty.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Exactly Martin - the twist rudder is terrible and highly inaccurate....this is why I was asking about the Auto-Rudder being necessary/suggested. I will try it without Auto-Rudder and see if that gives me the ground steering as well as yaw correction with the stick alone (no twist required). I am also 'assuming' with FSUIPC newest version, I can set Rudder_Effectiveness back to 1.0?? Rob.

Yes, you can put that number back to 1.0. However, even before the rudder bug was introduced, people were already adjusting that number for more "realistic" rudder response.If you want to steer on the ground with lateral stick inputs, you need to have autorudder on (via the menu or the right yaw damp switch). Ground steering should, in reality, be only available from the yaw axis controls, not by aileron inputs. If your twist controls are inadequate for rudder handling and you prefer Y axis inputs for all your directional control, then you probably should consider yourself "rudderless". Being rudderless, you should just leave both yaw damp switches in the ON position, thereby keeping yaw damp on and auto-rudder on. Forget about crosswind landings and V1 cuts. You need decent rudder control for that. It also will not matter to you what number is in the rudder_effectiveness criteria since the overriding auto-rudder will coordinate the rudder with your aileron inputs at all times. So in your particular case, the rudder spikes and the fix should not really matter either way.