Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

My recommended 767 book this month is

Guest Andrew

ISBN 0-9362-8302-5 The Unofficial Boeing 766-757 Simulator and Checkride Procedures ManualDry Humor, What to do with a fire at 38000ft, crazy autopilot behavior and stuff like that.Purchased Transair Pilot Shop in the UK.

I just got it a few days ago. I haven't spent much time with it but it appears to be very useful for PICers who want to understand the flow of tasks in the real thing.I would also recommend the "Big Boeing User's Guide" by Bill Bulfer and ###### Gifford. It is IMHO the FMC bible. We used it extensively in programming the FMC. As well as a thorough description of the various versions of the 747/757/767/777 FMCs it also contains a lot of practical tips for getting the most out of the FMCs features.Regards,Wade

Mike Ray has a series of books out. The 767/757 book was the first. He also has one for 737 300/400/500, a "New Airline Pilot's Stuff to Know" (useful if hired by UAL), and his latest on the 747-400.99% of all the "procedural" 757/767 questions can be answered in these guides. They are lavishly illustrated and rather funny. Best thing is they are written from a line pilots point of view.Another great series is "Impact Guides" that just take one instrument/switch at a time, describing function and use. Good for reviews. There is one for each of the modern jets currently in use.The FMC guide that Wade refered to is very good IF you really need to know the "gnat's tailsection" detail on FMCs. It is very detailed, confusing at times to the casual user. Those of you who are addicted should get it.Gooche's guide to the Mysteries of the 757/767 is a great intro. It is subtitled "...or why is this machine doing THAT!" which kind of sums up the new hires approach to flying "glass". This book is a great look at the different systems of the 67/57.The "Classic" read for anyone wanting to understand airline/jet ops is "Fly the Wing" by Webb (I think). Though a little dated (great DC-9 section) it really goes into all the operational concerns of flying heavy iron.The down side to these pubs is that they are very pricey if you don't "need" them professionally. They are floating generally in the $50 USD range. Timothy

Guest Martin

>Gooche's guide to the Mysteries of the 757/767 is a great >intro. It is subtitled "...or why is this machine doing >THAT!"Are these books available in regular bookstores? In that case I think "normal" people could easily become a little "discouraged" from flying - at least with that subtitle! :-lolMartin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hmmm, I got mine at UAL TK, we leased their sims once....I'd try Airliners Magazine or Airways Magazine book selling thingy. I think I saw it on one of their lists and I think both have web sites. Sorry I don't have the www infront of me, maybe a google search?Well, there is a reason why he used that subtitle......Timothy