Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Proper procedure for restarting an engine in flight?

I was finishing an 11 hour flight (yes in real time) in a POSKY Delta 763 with the PIC panel (a dream combination) from LAX to EGKK. Well, somehow one of the engines for some reason would no longer respond to A/T or manual or even the MSFS keyboard commands. I figured I would shut it down and re-start it. I could not get it going however but do to the excellent FDE on this aircraft, I made a 1 engine landing at Gatwick right on the centerline (a good FDE goes a long way in these circumstances). Could someone give me the proper step by step procedures for a inflight restart please? Thanks

Eric 

In general: A/T offThrottle retardFuel shutoff closedSelect Drift down Altitude (if you were above FL280 you need to get down to start the engines in any case)Set FLCH and set best glide speed approx 280 KIASStart the APUPassing through FL280 select FLT on the Start Switch (i'm sure it'll feel like an eternity to get to 28,000 ft....)Fuel to RUNMike Ray's manual has a procedure for it and of course the 767 QRH for the airlines even a better one but that's the general idea. I'd be very curious of why the engine flamed out like ice, fuel contamination, fuel starvation, etc... That should have gotten it re-started. I have done restarts many times without a problem. Regards, Pedro

Guest HPSOV

APU can be on at any altitude, but might not start when above 35,000ft.In answer to the actual question... follow the QRH procedure!

Pedro, I was at 12K when I tried the restart. God knows why it stopped responding. I had anti-ice switches on?? The only thing I can think of is that just before it stopped responding, I had the over-head panel opened and my dang mouse cursor was on the eng/cargo/apu fire warning test button and when I grabbed my mouse, my finger I guess depressed enough that the test button went off (scared the s--- out of me when it did as I was not expecting it). The #2 engine stopped responding just after this happened? Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Eric