Sign in to follow this  

Left of centre line on coupled approach

Guys,Was wondering whether one of you knowledgeable chaps might be able to assist. When doing an autopilot coupled approach, the aircraft always seems to track left of localiser. This is regardless of head-, tail-, or crosswind from either side. I rather suspect it has nothing to do with the FMC, as the aircraft should be following the localiser based on information received by the VOR1 radio.For this reason I've never experienced an automatic landing; always disconnect the A/P at around 1500ft, with A/T following at around 1000 ft.Apart from this little tedious problem, this is by far the very best add-on ever produced for Flight Simulation. Actually, it's so good we're using it for professional purposes with the airline I'm working for. I had some initial problems with the FMC, but a quick 1 hour lesson from one of our 757 skippers showed me the way. The skipper was mighty impressed with 767PIC by the way, vouched for the flightmodel and the FMC operations being very very close to reality. Only item he put his finger on was a slightly low fuel flow in cruise.

Guest flightpro08

This has always been a little issue with the PIC767 in FS2k2. In order for the PIC767 to do a full, centerline, auto-landing requires the correct OBS setting to be set. Now, in the real world, OBS changes over time, but in FS2k2 , it doesn't.So, in short, all this great new NavData Richard provids us with sometimes does not match what FS2k2 has. What's the solution you ask? Well, you can do one of two things.1.) Go into the FS2k2 World Map view and get all the information on the airport (frequencies, OBS settings, runways, etc.)2.) The better solution, IMHO, land it by hand. The PIC767 handles like a dream and is a joy to handfly.Hope this helps. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Guest WorkingStiff

Ryan's answer is correct.The problem occurs because 767 PIC doesn't read the runway alignment information from FS2002. The 767 PIC default Navdata was compiled in January 2002 from real-world information.As Ryan suggested, you can go into World View and get the relevant information on the runway heading and input them into the OBS. I personally prefer to use FSNavigator for this purpose. When flying online and ATC gives me the active runway, I simply hit F9, highlight the active runway in FSNAV and the pop-up box tells your all the runway information, including heading.I then cross-check that the heading from FSNAV is the same as the one shown in the OBS. If not, I correct it and get perfect landings.

Guest flightpro08

Ah, I wasn't aware FSNav displayed a runway's OBS. Thanks for the info. :D (Quite a bit easier than opening up the World Map)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Guest WorkingStiff

If you do a mouseover on any runway in FSNav you get a pop-up box with lots of useful information. In addition to the runway heading it also tells you the glideslope information. This is particularly useful in my opinion, because in some approaches used in 767 PIC the altitude does not correspond with the altitude shown in FSNav.So part of my approach routine is to enter the altitude shown in FSNav in the final approach fix of the FMC. This ensures that I capture the glideslope correctly.The frequency info is also quite useful when your NAV radio are set to Manual tuning.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d40aafb7d7b4561.gif

Hi Ryan,Thanks for the advice mate, will try to insert the correct OBS values and see what happens. I do prefer to handfly at least the last 5 or so trackmiles, it's much more fun than watching the a/p doing it. When I'm really in the mood, I disconnect all autoflight when transitting FL100 and handfly the approach. With a tricky STAR it can be quite a handful, but great fun. Same for take-offs, really, hardly ever connect the a/p below FL100. Just select VNAV and LNAV on the MCP and follow the flight director guidance. Having said that, would like to just once see how it will perform an autolanding.