Sign in to follow this  

CAT II and III in FS2002?

Hi,a thing that is not clear to me, yet: are there cat II and cat III runways in FS2002? I mean, does FS2002 recognize the difference between a cat II and a cat III ILS? If so, when I perform an approach to a cat III rwy, my 767 should be able to carry on an autoland, while that should not be possible with cat II rwys. Correct?Thanks,Luca

Guest Martin

FS doesn't make a difference between CAT I, II or III certified approaches, so you should be able to do an autoland on any ILS equipped runway in FS.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

What's the difference in real life between the "quality" of the runways and the "quality" of the ground based radio equipment for CAT I,II and III? In other words what decides the CAT category of a runway?And in real life would it be possible to do a full autoland (LAND3) on a CAT I or a plain vanilla ILS equipped runway?

Guest KenG

As has been stated, FS2002 does not differentiate between any category landing system. For it to be truly realistic, FS2002 would have to query the plane, and most importantly, the pilot to ensure that they too are CAT III qualified. In real life, all must be approved for a CAT III (a, b, or c) landing in order for it to be legal. I would venture to guess that most of us are not. I just finished some CAT II approches in a PCATD (with a C172) and I can guarantee that I am not qualified for them either.

Guest Martin

>What's the difference in real life between the "quality" of >the runways and the "quality" of the ground based radio >equipment for CAT I,II and III? In other words what decides >the CAT category of a runway?I don't know the details, but for an ILS to be certified to lower minima depends on the accuracy of the ILS signals, and if there are low visibility procedures at the airport. For example all ILS "sensitive" areas must be clear when low visibility procedures are in use, which means that aircraft must hold further away from the runway (CATII/III holding signs) and some taxiways may be closed (so no aircraft can get in the way of the ILS signals).>And in real life would it be possible to do a full autoland >(LAND3) on a CAT I or a plain vanilla ILS equipped runway?My guess is that it may be possible, but I'm not sure how the aircraft responds if it loses the GS/LOC signals or if it can determine if it is accurate enough or not. Someone more knowledgable than me can probably chime in here. :-)(BTW LAND2 is also a full autoland. :-) It just has less redundancy than LAND3.)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing