Sign in to follow this  

Endless splashscreens and AFCAD uploads

Is it just me, or are we seeing rather more than we need of "splashscreen" and "gate" files in the library? They seem to be endless, and it's becoming hard to find the real stuff. I'm sure most of us make our own splashscreens anyway - am I wrong? - and thus all these uploads are really just a sort of glorified screenshot forum in the wrong place, maybe. And with 24,000 airports in FS2002 (I believe), I guess we haven't seen the last of the AFCAD files either as they come out in different versions by different people, one by one. It just seems to me that developers who spend weeks on preparing a complex upload can be lost in the mire very quickly. I'm not moaning, but I am curious ... are these splashscreens popular? Should they have their own place, perhaps?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Joshieca

I have to agree with you on the splash screen thing...after all if the software were fast enough the splash screen shouldn't have to be loaded at all.However, as a AFCAD designer, I do like the airport work that most of the designers are doing. I do have to say that overlays which use three or more airports do seem a bit out of control. One I downloaded you had to add five new airports and five new flight plans to get it to work right. :-eek[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

I agree, look under the "Newest uploads" right now and there are a ton of splash screens. Enough is enough with these!

Eric 

I don't mind people uploading splash screens and AFCAD files to the library, particularly the latter. But I really think that people who create multiple splash screen files or multiple AFCAD files should group them together and upload them as a set, making sure that the library description lists all the files included (like the AFCAD compilation listing all the ICAO codes for the airports modified therein).This way, all their work can be shared in the library, but we won't encounter seemingly endless entries in the library listing.That's just my 2 pesos.jkvato1.jpg

What's up with people feeling the need to include Microsoft's advertising if they've gone to the trouble to decorate the images that appear during the program loading time?Perhaps its still more of the imitation of being in business that is a part of many people's activity. People are perhaps pretending to be advertising artists?

I couldn't agree more with the author who started this thread. This morning I was in the file library scrolling through the new files (they hadn't been posted on the the Avsim main page yet), and it was nothing but one splash screen after another. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common, and to me, at least, very irritating when I'm looking for "real" flight simming files.Just my .02Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hey Mark!I agree on the Splash Screens - waaayy too many of those!AFCAD files are necessary though; I do have a slight issue with too many repeated AFCAD files out there for the same airport. Let's create different/new AFCAD files rather than repeating them. I think Richard Mohammed has done an excellent job with his series - let's just build upon what he's done!My 2 cents!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest Rob

Hey guys,Taking it loud and clear - no more splash screen from me. I didn't realise they would cause this amount of unhappiness amongst the ranks. SORRY! I'm going to turn my hand to painting some B727 skins for your all to enjoy :D.

==================================================EDITED - Sorry about the use of "nags". Probably not the best term, but I was at a loss for a better one. Splash dissenters? Too long. SD? Yep, we will change it to SD. ==================================================Don't let a handful of people spoil your fun. When you look and see the number of downloads is less then the number of "SD" you may want to revisit your style. You should also give downloads 5 points each and "SD" 1 when you are scoring. REASON -- You are only making the "SD" unhappy for 10 seconds, while the downloaders you are making happy for a much longer time. "36 Splash Screen's currently available.885 Downloads to date."Looks to me as if you have a lot of points in the "bank" and no need to stop because of a handful of SD.Have fun and "Do it your way!" -- "Can't please ever one so you got to please yourself."I guess I should download a set and see what it is all about. ;-)BobAnd here is my way.The CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif

You have to ask yourself whether splashscreens and AFCAD's help people enjoy their simming more.If the answer to both is yes, then why not? Personally, I have no inclination in changing my splashscreen from the default - it's not important to me what greets me as I start the programme (I used to delete the old Microsoft movie in FS98 and FS2000). But we live in a democracy and splashscreens do no harm to anyone.But I do take the point that individual splashscreen and AFCAD uploads can be annoying, and should be bundled together.Perhaps the file library managers might have something to say about this?My 2 euro-cents...Rob

By way of an explanation, I am inclined to disagree with some of the comments made in this forum with respect to splash screens.I am creating a series of splash screens for the community in order to give something back by way of thanks to the freeware designers who have, over the years, allowed me to gain great pleasure from their work. I am unable to design aircraft myself and have great limitations on my time, however I do spend hours creating each screen which is time I am giving to the community in an

Guest JDH

I don't think the intention is to STOP you making splash screens!! Just to perhaps group them together into sets? If people have the Splash Screen Randomizer, then sets will be ideal. Personally, I have not interest in splash screens, I really am not bothered about an image I see for a few seconds!AFCAD files are a different story, I am happy to see them as they save me lots of work, particularly as I use Project AI for my traffic.I understand the point of view of the original poster, but it is all freedom of choice at the end of the day!

Guest guyjr

It seems easy enough to me to use the browse features in the file library to limit the types of files you want to see. Just select, for example, "FS2002 Aircraft", and when the browse screen comes up, order by date.Maybe a new feature could be added that allows you to scan multiple categories at once... that way you could select Aircraft, Panels, Sounds, and Scenery, for example, and then order by date, to see what's new in only those categories.Wasn't there a survey about improving the search engine just last week?--Guy Elden Jr.PP-ASEL

Thumbnails , the way simviation.com does them.That way you can see at a glance what the Splash Screen looks like.This is one of the reasons I've never uploaded my Hollywood sign/Griffith observatory fix and the crystal cathedral fix to either here or the other place. I'm sure that there are more important files to occupy that 'new files' pagehttp://www.geocities.com/ihor.geo/