Sign in to follow this  

Engine start.

The right engine is failing to start again. Left engine starts okay.I suspect a low oil pressure, if this is the fault how do I fix it.thanks, robin.

Guest Martin

I don't know which effect, if any, these things have, but I noticed a few switches in "unusual" positions:-The center tank fuel pumps should be OFF if the tank is empty. Also there's no need to have the fuel crossfeed open.-The engine bleed switches are normally left ON. (They are OFF in your picture.) Same for the right utility bus, trim air, and recirc fan switches - they are normally left ON (because they are automatically turned off anyway during engine start, to preserve electrical power).Other than that, everything looks perfectly normal. In fact it looks like engine 2 is about to stabilize after a successful start - it has N2 and N1 rotation, and fuel flow and EGT.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Yipeeeee, someone else with the same problem :-lol I have had this occur on a number of occasions and I don't have any failures set.#1 engine starts up OK but #2 will spool upto 18 - 20 N2 but will not ignite.The way I got round it was to start #2 first, then #1 would start OK.The biggest problem with this fault is that my throttle would only operate #1 throttle and no amount of hitting E+1+2 would re-sync them.Try #2 first and see if that cures it.

Guest ielchitz

My opinion...You do not have sufficient pressure to start the engines...Press your Engine bleed valve controls IN.Press IN the RIGHT Isolation valve switch.Press OUT the LEFT Isolation valve switch.Watch the Duct Pressure gauge skyrocket .Refer to the Systems Manual pages 79-83 (Pneumatic System) and pages 86-91 (Engines)Circled in red should be ONCircled in Green should be OFF.This is what has worked for me - I hope this solves your problem.Ian Elchitz CYWG

You might want to try starting the engines one at a time.because then you will have enough duct pressure to start up both.thats how i always do it, and its works perfect.Hope you will get it to work.kind regards.G.

Guest Martin

>My opinion... And mine. :-)>You do not have sufficient pressure to start the engines...The pressure looks normal to me. In fact I just tried a few startups with the same panel setup as in the screenshots, and it worked flawlessly every time. Besides, in the screenshots you can see that the engine has both N1 and N2 rotation, and fuel flow plus EGT, and it actually looks like it's just seconds from a completed successful start. The amount of bleed air should be irrelevant at that point if I'm not mistaken.>Press your Engine bleed valve controls IN. >Press IN the RIGHT Isolation valve switch. >Press OUT the LEFT Isolation valve switch.As a note to myself mostly so I don't confuse it: It's ON and OFF, not IN and OUT. ;-)And both the bleed switches and isolation switches should be ON (though, according to the startups I just did, it doesn't matter if the engine bleeds are on or not).Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Im not sure what's happening here but you have a reading in your EGT so that means that your burning fuel. Also you have a reading of 1100 pounds per hour of fuel. If the engine won't spool up your supposed to be having engine fire by now. Perhaps you have an engine damage.pluto1168(kelvin)

Thanks for your answers everyone but there really is no reason for the right engine not to start.I normally start the right engine first then the left . In this case the right fails to spool so I then START the left engine, no problem. The pictures show an attempt to start the right again after the left has started, hence a slight drop in pressure. Bleed air from the APU is being used initially to start the engines ensuring that the two isolation valves for the left and right pneumatic ducts are opened. Closing either one of them would reduce pressure. Bleed air from either engine would not give any effect on the initial start.This evening everything is working as it should under the same conditions. Hmm

Guest Martin

What actually happens with the right engine? Does it just remain at 48% N2 and 7.9% N1 forever? As we've mentioned a few times, nothing appears to be wrong, and it looks like the engine is about to start.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing