Sign in to follow this  

PIC and PIC/POSKY system crashes with Windows XP

Hello Anybody.I have been trying to help a friend get the PIC and PIC/Posky merge running on his system with XP. one flight will go perfectly smooth and then the next one will crash back to the desktop with various different error messages. sometimes after 1hr flying and sometimes after 3 hours, it's never consistent as far as the time it takes to crash the system. He has the 2002 patch and the latest merge files. I have checked all his files against Mine and they look good.. I have never had a problem with any aircraft including PIC or PIC/Posky. Has anyone else with XP experienced these kind of anomalies.ThanksGWN214/AAL314

Greetings,I am the person that Gary is talking about. I actually don't crash out to the desktop, I either get the Blue Screen of Death (XP's version!) and have to do a cold boot (and that is what has happened with the PIC and PICPOSKY) or it freezes with a repititous sound in the sim and I have to do a cold boot. I recently put in a 400 WATT power supply (recommended for this system) and the only addons that I have (since I recently did a fresh install) are ones that have patches that update it to 2002 or ones that are made for 2002.Finally, let me say that I am a new PIC user. Gary has been very generous with his time and talent and has made me a believer in this great Panel! I look forward to being a vital part of the PIC user's Forum and thank you in advance for any assistance you might have with my dilemma!Fly Happy, Fly Safe!Ted "Shureflight" ShureAAL333 - Assistant Hub ManagerAmerican Virtual Airlineswww.flyava.orghttp://ftp.appcenter.net/Shureflight/Pics/AmericanFlagAA.jpgGod Bless America!Proverbs 3:5,6AMD Athalon 1200Asus A7A266512 Megs Ram DDR/266 Maxtor DiamondMax 60gigGF3 Ti500 64 Sound Blaster LIVE! PlatinumWindows XP Pro, DirectX 8.1CH Flight Sim Yoke USB CH Pro Pedals USB

Guest KenG

Does FS crash with any other planes? I am running PIC/POSKY on WinXP Pro and have no problems. The problem sounds more like a driver issue, maybe sound card or video card.Is the crash reproducible? By that, does it happen whenever you do something specific? For example, shifting to Spotplane View, looking in a new direction, changing throttle setting, day to night transition, over a specific geographical location, etc.? It is often hard to determine what the exact trigger is for a recurrent crash, but if you observe it closely you'll see a pattern. That will help with the diagnosis for what the cause is.Because there are quite a few others running PIC with WinXP, I doubt that the problem lies with PIC/WinXP per se. Try other aircraft and let them go for a certain amount of time to see if you get the same result. If it doesn't happen with default aircraft, try other addon aircraft (the more complex the better as they will stress your system more). It may be a driver issue or a hardware issue. Try other drivers (upgrade or downgrade) to see if the problem resolves. Don't just focus on video and audio drivers, but try different Via 4-in-1 drivers and anything else you can think of. Try disabling the sound or joystick (yoke) to see if that keeps it from crashing. Reduce the visual complexity within FS2002. And finally, try to determine the temp of your CPU after at least 30 minutes into a FS session or right after FS crashes. You should be able to get into the BIOS and check it. If it's high, then that might be your problem. Also look at the current and volts being reported in the BIOS.Basically, I'm sorry I haven't been able to give you something specific, but crashes can occur for MANY reasons. WinXP is not immune, just more stable than previous versions. Anything that taxes your system - like FS - will show weaknesses in your system and could result in crashes.

Greetings,I THINK I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!! So, I said to myself. I have basically used the same hardware while having the same toubles under 2000/XP/98SE and now back to XP. I am keeping my fingers crossed but here is what I did.I have tried a couple of VID cards and YES, they are picky about the drivers. Each system is a little different. Where the 23.11 NVIDIA drivers rum smoothly in some systems, I was getting crashes that had the NV_4.disp error on it. I am using the newest 29.xx and at least that problem went away, but I still had crashes.Then I thought that I remembered somewhere that the sound cards can be of issue and I had bought a SB LIVE! Platinum card/Live Drive a while back. I looked around and found one of my puters had a SB LIVE! Value card in it and I decided to swap. WHen I did, I realized that it was basically the same card, but jumpers were sitting on the pins that the Live Drive connected to. So, I thought, why not just leave the power and cable of the Live Drive disconnected and see if that makes a difference...I am now 5 flights (all 4 hours or more) into a new record of no crashes!!! Can it be??? I think so! I couldn't get my FMC programmed in PIC before the system crashed before. Now just smooth sailing and great framerates.I promosed I would update you great folks if I had any luck and (still with fingers crossed) I think I solved this one.Thanks for all the feedback!Fly Happy, Fly Safe!Ted "Shureflight" ShureAAL333 - Assistant Hub Manager - KBOSAmerican Virtual Airlineswww.flyava.orghttp://ftp.appcenter.net/Shureflight/Pics/AmericanFlagAA.jpgGod Bless America!Proverbs 3:5,6AMD Athalon 1200Asus A7A266400 Watt Power Supply (3 case fans)512 Megs Ram DDR/266 Maxtor DiamondMax 60gigGF3 Ti500 64 Sound Blaster LIVE! Platinum - LIVE DRIVE DISCONNECTED! Windows XP Pro, DirectX 8.1CH Flight Sim Yoke USB CH Pro Pedals USB

Greetings,I meant to ad that to the subject line so you good folks might see that there is a possible solution. So, AN ANSWER indeed!Fly Happy, Fly Safe!Ted "Shureflight" ShureAAL333 - Assistant Hub Manager - KBOSAmerican Virtual Airlineswww.flyava.orghttp://ftp.appcenter.net/Shureflight/Pics/AmericanFlagAA.jpgGod Bless America!Proverbs 3:5,6AMD Athalon 1200Asus A7A266400 Watt Power Supply (3 case fans)512 Megs Ram DDR/266 Maxtor DiamondMax 60gigGF3 Ti500 64 Sound Blaster LIVE! Platinum - LIVE DRIVE DISCONNECTED! Windows XP Pro, DirectX 8.1CH Flight Sim Yoke USB CH Pro Pedals USB