Sign in to follow this  

I've got a pain in the butt problem...

My joystick, a Microsoft ForceFeed Back pro (the old one) and in my control panal>game devices section it says that its connected properal, it's not USB. But in Flight sim 2002 I doesn't show up, it doesn't ever recognize I have a joystick plugged in, it calibrates fine, and works everywhere but Flight sim 2002. Any ideas at all? Please help

Guest nirvana

only one word: micro$oft :-hah

Guest emergency_pants

Yep... it's not going to work in FS2002.I had to go out and buy the Precision Pro 2. That works, but now I have

The MSSWFFB1 works just fine in FS2002. If you're running XP, uninstall the joystick software as the software is built right into XP. Then go into the control panel, locate joysticks, double click it. Then I think it's new/autodetect and it'll find your joystick. When you go into the sim, find the joystick tab and set it up anyway you like. You shouldn't have any problems. I run win98 and it works great. Just like any other sim. The FFB effect is great.

If that doesn't work (it didn't for me), take a look at this old Usenet message via Google: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:F...home.com&rnum=7.I'm now successfully using my MS FF 1.0 stick and some Simped Vario/Pro rudder pedals. I'd given up, and had actually bought a new MS FF Pro 2 stick. Fortunately I did one more search before openening up the box for my new stick, and found the above message link.Incidentally, I too had problems with the stick showing up correctly in the Control Panel/Game Controllers panel, but not working in FS 2002. Of course it worked in IL2, but Microsoft must use some other routine to detect joysticks, or configure them in FS 2002.Best of luck,Cage

Guest emergency_pants

nope... the Force Feedback 1 joystick doesn't work on XP in FS2002. it does in windows '98... but not in XP. Yeah... the stick installs ok in XP but it doesn't work in FS2002 properly. Adjust the registry entries to your heart's content... if you want to take the effort... it still won't work properly. It's not really a very pleasant solution. I work hard and when I have free time, I don't want to spend it ##### about with registry entries and tweaking things. Some people enjoy that... but I do it all day at work and frankly, I'd rather spend my free time doing other things. Microsoft should offer partial refunds to FF1 owners! Total crud. Simon.

I've got it to work, so it is possible (to use a MS FF 1.0 gameport stick) under Windows XP in MS FS 2002.Another possible conflict is if you have onboard sound built into your motherboard (along with a game port), and a gameport on an add-on card like a Sound Blaster Live! You have to make sure you disable your on-board gameport, in order to avoid any hardware conflicts.Best,Cage

Guest emergency_pants

Glad you took the effort & got it to work, dude! Good on ya! I couldn't be bothered and got stung for loadsa cash instead. LOL. :(Heheheh.Simon

I have to agree, it's really ##### poor customer service and support for Microsoft to not do it right. After all, it *is* their hardware and software.It was made all the more irritating when I tested IL2, and found that it worked just fine without any extra effort.It's true that you can NOT install the MS FF 1.0 software under Windows XP. That means that you can't program the buttons with Microsoft's game controller software.The good news is that you do get proper response to joystick movement, and in my case proper response to my Simped rudder pedals.Having rudder pedals that required an in-line connection to a game port joystick made the effort to edit the registry very much worth it. I also prefer the MS FF 1.0 stick to the newer FF 2 stick.Just my $.02 worth.Cage

Heheh..Yep, I almost felt your pain. I still have the receipt for the MS FF 2 stick, and I'm going back for my money asap.I could have just kissed the guy that posted that fix on Usenet. Google searching finally paid off.Best,Cage

Guest Rob

An interesting problem you have there. I use a Sidewinder 1 under Windows XP with Flight Sim 2002 fine.Try uninstalling all of your joystick drivers and simply plugging your joystick in, Windows XP should recognize and install the drivers automatically.

Guest jmarcure

My Sidewinder FF1 has worked without a hitch in FS2002 and I've gone though two different OSs, 2 different CPUs, three different sound cards, two reformats and reinstalls of XP and two installs of FS2002.Jon

Is there a way to adjust the FF forces in FS2k2? The FF forces that I get are a bit whimpy!!TIAOnno Bulk

Mine did not prompt me for drivers, and did not install with Windows XP (brand new P4 system).I had to go into the Windows Control Panel and add it in via the Game Controllers panel.After that, it would work for IL2, but it wouldn't show up in FS 2002.Since I had mistakenly tried to install the Microsoft game controller software, and the Remove Software/Hardware option did not cleanly remove everything, I had to follow the instructions that were given above.I think that most folks that run into a similar set of circumstances get real frustrated, and just go out and buy another stick.In my case that was not a very good option, since using a USB stick would mean a lot more hassle to get my Simped Vario/Pro rudder pedals to work with the new stick.Simped does make an adapter to use their Vario/Pro rudder pedals with a seperate USB device, but their order page is exclusively in German now. Plus, you have to disable the rudder on the MS FF2 stick if you really want it to work right - something that happens automatically with Simped's rudder pedals if they are connected in-line to the proper joystick. Of course Simped also makes a USB version of their rudder pedals that works just fine out of the box with USB sticks.This problem only occurs with the MS FF (original) stick with the gameport connector. USB versions of MS Sticks (such as the MS FF 2) do not have this problem, and are fully supported by Microsoft.Best,Cage

I haven't found one yet, since the properties tab under the Control Panel/Game Controllers Windows XP applet doesn't feature support for adjusting force feedback settings.That's one of the big problems with the MS FF 1.0 stick. The setup software that goes with the MS FF 1.0 does not install correctly in Windows XP. If you don't know that, and try to install the software it creates problems for some programs like FS 2002. Plus, you miss out on some functionality, such as easily programming buttons, and being able to use different profiles and force and response settings.It wasn't/isn't exactly Microsoft's proudest moment when they borked the support for their own hardware in Windows XP.Best,Cage