Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeM

Changing 'puters

Hi y'all...Just about ready to upgrade my 'puter system to a 2.2 Ghz and 526 ram and was wondering if there is a way of transfering the info on my present computer to the new one short of burning CD's. The old unit doesn't have a CDRW and I don't want to spend the cash on one just to do this but will if I absolutely have to. Would appreciate any and all help. Flying A KGCM

Guest KenG

You could always yank out the hard drive on your old system and install it on the new computer. Then transfer the files to the new hard drive and either leave the old drive in or put it back in the old computer. That's how I usually do it. It would actually be easier in most cases than burning CDs, especially if the older computer doesn't have a CD burner.

Indeed, the guy that came out today to set up my system for me said it's better NOT to burn. If you're doing it yourself, then yeah, just install the HD into the new system and go from there. I used to do that all the time when I built my own systems. Have FS on one HD, and everything else on the other.I was lucky, part of my purchase contract was setup, and so they did EVERYTHING for me, including transfering ALL my old stuff from the old HD to the new. I did a full re-install of FS on the new system, but then copied everything I needed from the old setup. Works like a DREAM.The new system:P4 1.6ghzGeForce2 MX400 64meg17" monitorStill using the old speakers and Saitek X7-38 joystick, but then they served me well so far. Life is good...'Dog:-beerchug

I just want to thank all you guy's {Ken G., 'Dog, and GeorgeM} for the quick response to my problem. I appreciate it greatly and will let you all know how it turns out. Again, thanks a bunch..Flying A KGCM