Sign in to follow this  

Backup FS? Just call me Mr. Creative!

Guest GiZBUG

Here's an idea, has anyone tried it?A) After installing your OS, install FS 2002 to a seperate partition (complete installation).:( Use Norton Ghost or Drive Image to image your partition with your operating system on it.C) After you have your image on CDRW, start installing your addon's for flight sim 2002 to your Flight Sim partition. D) After you have all your addon's installed, use Norton Ghost or Drive Image to image your Flight Sim partition to CDRW.Hopefully this will cut down on the hours of reinstalling after your format/reinstall your operating system. This is also a great way to back up Flight simulator in general.What do you think?Next time you format, you just restore you operating system partition, then your flight simulator 2002 partition, and your all set!

I might not understand it correctly, then slap me ;-)I have FS and OS on seperate partitions... some of the add-ons on yet another even.If I Ghost FS2002 INCLUDING the OS, I will get the 'old' OS back when I re-install it won't I? So then it is not a solution for re-installing my OS and AFTER that doing the Ghost restore...If, on the other hand, I install a new OS and then restore an FS2002 Ghost image, I have no entries in my registry for it... That's the trouble I ran into a few weeks ago.I am sure I am missing something here.... can you help me understand? :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest GiZBUG

>> If, on the other hand, I install a new OS and then restore an FS2002 Ghost image, I have no entries in my registry for it... That's the trouble I ran into a few weeks agoYou are correct on the above.>> If I Ghost FS2002 INCLUDING the OS, I will get the 'old' OS back when I re-install it won't I? So then it is not a solution for re-installing my OS and AFTER that doing the Ghost restore...Don't follow you. If you ghost your OS (which has the initial registry entries of your FS2002 install, which is on another partition) you will be able to restore both seperately, and both shall work.Two Images are neeeded, OS and FS 2002.Two partitions are needed, OS and FS 2002Install / Image order must be Install OS, Install FS 2002, Image OS, Image FS 2002.

I see now. You are talking about restoring your original OS AND FS2002, wheras I thought you wanted to install a new OS and then restore FS2002 (which I needed to do a few weeks ago).In that case, yes, Ghost is a good tool for backing up and restoring. :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I did this a few weeks ago (or more, whenever I got my last issue of MaximumPC). I did not write to CD since the burner I have is only 2x, I just wrote the file to my second HD. The only things I have in my image are WinXP and FS2002 with a couple of add-ons. I didnt want to start putting a bunch of add-ons in my image because if for some reason I didnt want them anymore they were always stuck with me. I have used the image twice so far and it seems to be working really well. I like the idea of just setting up Drive Image and letting it do the restoring instead of reinstalling Windows and FS2002 and other little apps which make me have to be sitting at the pc for a hours at a time each time I need to reformat.Craig

Guest GiZBUG

Only issue I can notice is, that some addons, like wilco pic 767, write to the registry of windows, so those would have to be reinstalled. But as for scenery and planes from the library here, where nothing goes into the windows registry, you should be good to go.

Hi,I never backed up any FS.All Software are installed on a separate partition.What i need if i reinstall Windows is to createa shortcut to FS.If i add a new version of Windows i do the same :I create a shortcut and all runs fine without any installation of FS.I do the same for any FS : 98 - 2000 - 2002.You just need to reinstall some add-on wich maybe install some files in the windowssystem directory or write some needed infos in the registry.If you want FS 2002 to be installed correctly and follow the above advice do this :Rename your FS2002 directory.Reinstall FS2002 in the same directory.Delete FS2002 after the new installation.Rename back your renamed FS2002 directory.In this way the registry will be correct otherwise (for example) Zone will not find the FS 2002 installation because it search in the registry.Longbow

What I do is this :I copy all the FS directory to a new folder called FS2002 then put all my add ons into the correct folders like all my add on gauges to the "gauges folder" Textures,sounds,splash screen,traffic bgl,effects,aircraft,tools ect so i have a complete copy of fs2002 directory but with add ons not microsoft files ,even making new default aircraft folders but with my new liverys,then I zip it and put it on a cd and it compress to about 500MB then when i install fs2002 after disc 3 i put in my "disc 4"and extract to fs directory and in one click and "agree to overwrite files" it installs Everything at once.THis method I have used since FS2000 and you can even extract to desktop this cd and add and take away files to make a new version every few months (or when mike release another aircraft lol)then rezip it and make a new cd again.This is my way if you I do it and the good thing is when you reinstall flight sim it is Exactly as you like it with even your saved flight in it and all your AI traffic the way it was before you reinstall.And you can seet up your friends machine the way yours is when you are on your holidays !!!!!!!!!Hope this is Helpfull .......Anniette xxxxxxxxx