Sign in to follow this  

Roads in FS

Does anyone know of a file or program that can make the roads look like roads? I am getting very tired of little grey fuzzy lines that are almost impossible to see. Trying to do VFR navagation with them is almost impossible, unless looking straight down at them.ThanksIan

Guest GerrishGray

Hi IanThe fuzzy roads are a "feature" of FS2002 - and one that is widely complained about! MS has come up with a new system for the roads that places them into the surface of the mesh terrain so that they follow the contours perfectly - but the unwanted side effect is the fuzzy appearance. There is no proper cure for it, I'm afraid, although third party scenery designers do their best to overcome it, with limited success, either by using FS2000-style roads, which still work after a fashion but with various problems, or by going back to simple textured polygon roads, which are very difficult to do on any large scale.Basically, you will have to put up with FS2002's offering and pray that FS2004 has a better solution!CheersGerrish

Guest daves0

Can't that fuzzy texture be replaced with one that is more sharp?

I don't exactly see the problem. Unless it's video card related or something. The following pic, clearly shows both the freeway and a state roads without looking straight down. At very low levels the road becomes pixalated because it's a tile as the rest of the scenery. But then that's much lower than normal VFR flight anyway. That would be "scud running"! :)L.Adamson

Larry's screenshot is representative of what I see.I'd sure like to go in and darken the road texture, personally.I tried editing the road file that seems to be used by default. It was easily opened in Photoshop (without needing to be converted) but when I saved the image after adding some marks just to test, the saved file was only 66k rather than the 87k of the original. When I loaded FS, I got an error and FS shutdown (during the "loading scenery textures" phase, before getting to the "loading 3d objects" phase). What extra information did I probably lose when I resaved the file? Looks like it'd be easy to make the default roads look a bit more realistic, if I can find out what got lost in the resaving process.--Tony