Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Simubuild Website

Guest mikehaska

John- If SB released those files on the internet with no stipulation forbidding re-distribution, they have foregone their legal rights to forbid such trading. If they had stated the files were not to be redistributed beyond their website, they would have a case.I'm sorry, guys, I always stand up for freeware groups' rights, but it seems that you didn't cover your bases. If you have a readme or an EULA stating what restrictions you placed on the file, I would back you up 100%.Besides, why not just release the files for general use? What's the point of keeping them locked up on someone's hard drive when thousands of people can enjoy them?

"John- If SB released those files on the internet with no stipulation forbidding re-distribution, they have foregone their legal rights to forbid such trading."Being a freeware author, I can just say you're wrong. Authors retain the copyright in their products regardless of the initial license agreement. This has been proven in court quite often, and authors have won damages. While it is difficult (and most often wrong) to force someone to remove an installed product if they installed it within the terms of the original license, asking a website to remove files for public distribution is within the rights of the copyright owner. Freeware will die in a heartbeat if people come in here and disrespect that. Would someone spend the money to prosecute? Probably not. But future freeware releases will be in peril when people blatantly disrespect an author's wishes. If we need to hire lawyers to proof our license agreements to prevent some ***** from hijacking our intellectual property, then my guess is freeware is over. I know I'll think twice before ever releasing another product, after seeing the type of flak Simubuild has taken in this thread.-John

You know, if more folks were willing to argue FOR the continued free distribution of these files, where were freely distributed in the first place, I might be willing to continue to debate this point. But if all the rest of the AVSIM community has to contribute to the debate is a group shrug and a click to the next topic, I'll happily pull the files.:-rollDone.

amen John!zapped, what's up with you? Just remove the files for cryin out loud. Ever hear of the term respect? It amazes me how people can take something for free that someone else spent countless hours (months more likely) creating, and then be such a selfish **.I agree, freeware will die if people keep this up. I've been thinking of starting a full package (v-cockpit, gmax model, etc)for the 757 series, but now I wonder if i will...??

See, this just goes to show that if these files were available on, say, fsplanet.com then all this stuff about they're here, oops no they're not, go there, oops please don't and so on.Not that it would right or anything but nevertheless a thought.

So in answer to my request for someone to email me the Virgin livery package to add to the base pack I already have is??????? AL-SB .... pleeeeeeeez!! All I want to do is use this wonderful aeroplane that you guys have created and it is so frustrating to just have half of it.regardsA redundant FS A340-600 pilot

I feel the frustration. Since I had a dial-up connection, I only managed to get the A340-600 initial release, plus the Air Jamaica livery.I've tried to guess all the reasons that an author or group would request that third-party sites pull a freeware product (especially when the third-party site has nothing to sell--no popups, no adverts, and thus no financial gain), and I can only continue to guess. I can't make assumptions about Simubuild, but often someone who wants to get their fingers in the money jar claims intellectual property with one or more components of a freeware product. When that happens, anyone else trying to host the product would be legally at risk. Doesn't mean someone has to have intellectual property rights, but sometimes just the claim is enough to make people say "forget it" if the claimant has "deep pockets."As I said in another post, most freeware authors don't have time or the resources to fight for their products in a courtroom. Having said all this, here's my final take:1) Freeware authors don't get compensated for their work, thus:2) They are under no obligation to anyone to provide reasons for their decisions, and sometimes, they are prevented from doing so.3) When in doubt regarding number 2, see number 1.....But again, I feel your pain, and hope everything is sorted out in the end....