Sign in to follow this  

MIKE STONES 727 Climb info???

Guest HeavyFan

hi thier all and MIKE Stone! Love the V2 Update!! It looks Awesome now!! Keep it up!! but I have a slight climb problem when climbing to cruz Altitude! i went on a test filght andput about 40%fuel in the outer tank's only with the Center tank Empty!! Now I was climbing pretty good at a climb rate of about 1800-2000ft per min! Now upon reaching about 25,000ft the airspeed started to degrade quickly and i had switched to MAch setting with the climb spped set to about 300kts, but upon getting up to the cruz level of about 32,000ft, the plane had a very hard time keeping this speed!? It dropped down to about 180kts indicated! and i dropped my climb rate to about 800-900fpm!! Now is there something worng with the Air File to make this 727 stuggle to maintain speed on climb?? or is the cruzing altitude to high for a 727?? it also took a while for it to reach the MAch 78 setting i set in the Autopilot window when it leveled off? Has anyone else had climb problem's like this with Mike's 727's? Or can someone give me the right procedures to fly this bird correctly!? I would apprecite the info! Thank's MIKE-:)

Hmmmmm....don't know what the problem might be other than to comment that your target cruising altitude of 32,000 is only 1000 ft short of 727-200's rated service ceiling, at least according to the spec sheet I have. I've never taken it that high myself, but I took a flight at 27,000 the other day and maintained 320 kts indicated (450 ground) at less than 90% throttle.Mike Stone

Guest HeavyFan

oh WOW! The max cruzing altitude for the 727 is 33,000ft?? I did not know that! So in real life 727's rearely cruz in the 30,000ft area's?? they usually stay below 30,000ft?? I know that is was doing pretty good around the 25,000ft mark! but as i got up to around 29-31,000ft the speed was degrading! Hmmm well i guess i will half to try it again at a lower cruzing altitude? I thought that the 727 could go pretty high in Altitude!? Guees i was wrong since i am used to flying the 757,767,777 and 747 models! I like the Heavy's! But this 727 looked cool! guess i half to experiment more! Does anyone know what a good cruzing Altitude for this 727's would be? Thank's for your Reply MIKE Stone! Apprecite it! MIKE-:)

Yeah, I based the plane on the original 200 model, not the advanced. According to my spec sheet the advanced model has a much higher ceiling, primarily due to the engines. Amazing what another 7000 lbs of thrust can do for you. :-)Mike Stone

Mike, the good old boys at ATA take the thing up to FL390. Being the Advanced versions made in the late 80's and early 90's.--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Guest HeavyFan

Ok thank's guy's! Maybe Mike Stone will come out with a 727-200 Advanced Air File in the future! So we can take this baby to higher cruzing Altitudes!! But I guess until then i will not go as high with this bird! Oh well thank's for the great plane anyway Mike Stone! MIKE-:)

My first ever flight in an airliner was when I was 8 years old and was in a Boeing 727. I was going to Gerona in Spain from London Gatwick and our altitude going there was 29 000 feet and 28 000 coming back.At the time I thought it was pretty high then every time I flew I used to go higher so always used to wonder why the Boeing 727 flight was at such a lower cruise altitude. My highest altitude yet in a flight is 42 000 feet in a Boeing 757.Saying that though my lowest flight in an airliner so far at cruise altitude has been 28 000 feet, that being the above 727 trip and also flying with American Airlines to New York from London Heathrow in a 767-300. Some equipment was broken so it wasnt allowed to go higher than 28-000 feet. Im trying to think of what it was but when I do I will let you know. He must have had to have put quite abit more fuel in for the trip though so maybe something that would cost AA a few hundred dollars to fix was probably costing them alot more in fuel over the trips it was making with it broken.Craig Kiltie

Hi Mike,thanks for your great 727. First time I was disappointed about climbing to FL320, but now I got the solution:Like in real aviation, begin with FL270 until you have only 60% fuel.then climb to FL290 until 40% fuel is left, then climb to FL310.At 25% fuel you can climb to FL330! use only 700-800 fpm for these changes (could be real) regardsHans-Guenther Schnell