Sign in to follow this  

BEST control set for FS

Howdy, folks- I'm expecting a nice check in a month or less, and the 'ol lady says I need new FS controls. So, with that in mind, and having spent some time reading online reviews only to emerge even more uncertain what's best, I thought I'd best consult the best resource available... you. I'm a former pilot, now disabled and hgomebound, with way too much time for virtual aviation. BTW, keep me in mind if you ever need a beta-tester, eh? Here's the deal- I've had a lot of different controls over time. I prefer the high-end ones, because I use them a lot. Sooner or later all of them develop that wibbity spot in the middle, floppy, due to the inevitable wear. I've rebuilt Thrustmaster controls many times, but needs done too often. I've refurbished a couple of others myself, with factory or manufactured parts/remedies, with mixed success, not worth doing given the limited life of the repaired unit. Pots on rudders are easy to replace, fortunately, and my old TM pedals still work like new. I'm currently using the Saitek X36F/X35T HOTAS USB system. I'm on my second set of these, the first stick got wobbly in the midrange as usual, and about the same time in it's life as the rest. I generally like it, but when I found that sending the old one in and getting it refurbed cost only about $10 less than buying new, I just got a new set. So, I personally recommend the Saitek set overall, except for the rudder control ON the throttle. That's a little hard to get used to, but not terribly so. Anyway, I digress. I can pretty much get anything I need for controls, price being no object, generally. Having still a mildly worn joystick, and not flying much online air combat since Air Warrior died, and flying more GA and airliners of late, I'm most likely to get a yoke. Hopefully my TM rudder pedals will work with any yoke. So, what do YOU use? I'm interested in info on HOTAS systems as well, thus happy to learn what you have to share about them. As yokes go, I'm most likely to go USB, that's a major thing, but most anythign else is negotiable. How long has your yoke lasted? Got a floppy spot in the center? Bearings/pots/other mechanicals wear out fast? I think I'm not the only one on here that's curious. So, if you read this far, thanky I'll be looking for your replies in the coming weeks, and when I get something, I'll let y'all know. One thing's for sure, I'm certain to get the best advice here at AVSIM, where EVERYONE's a First-Class member. Thanks in advance! -dogbert

Guest SoarPics

Hi dogbert,Since money is not a major concern, I recommend you look here:http://www.flypfc.com/They have first class stuff, mostly metal, and their products are modeled directly from the RW counterparts.If ya got any money left over, I'm kinda partial to the King Air Quadrant, and Christmas ain't that far away. My mailing address immediately upon request. :-lol Regards,

Guest Mark Hazeldine

I use the CH Products Flightsim three lever USB yoke and USB pedals and the Microsoft Sidewinder forcefeedback 2 stick for flying Airbuses. Had it for 2 years with no problems yet. The CH ones are new so no idea of the reliability yet.

If money is no object Then Precision Flight Contols are the way to go but you will spend a couple of grand setting up with them. I would go with a CH yoke and CH USB pedals ($210 for both) then get a Go Flight avionics stack loaded with radios, switches, and autopilot controls. For less then $1000 you can have every thing they have including a Landing gear handle and flap lever and trim controls toggle switches Digital radios with preset freqs, dials for heading bug HSI needle, the works! I have been saving my pennies and am going to load up with some of this gear soon. What ever you decide good luck and enjoy.Ken