Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Questions About Cache Size: FS2K2 Scenery Library

What is meant by "cache size" in the FS2K2 scenery library?What are the units? gigabytes, megabytes, kilobytes, etc?What cache size is best and how high can it be set?Does changing it "generally" make any difference in FS2K2 performance or frame rates?What is the purpose of checking "empty cache on exit?"Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Guest SoarPics

Not sure about this, but I always presumed it cleared the files from memory. Maybe someone else has a better explantion.Hope this helps,

If you've done a full install, the Cache is to be ignored (as well as all the anecdotal fairy tales regarding improved fps by playing around with it).The "fairy tales" developed because users back in the days of FS2000 thought the cache was a memory cache. In fact, the cache is in FS for one reason--to act as a HD cache for installs which load scenery from CD, with the purpose of keeping freq. used CD scenery on the faster HD. Enabling it for scenery already loaded on the HD causes FS to waste cpu and I/O time by moving the scenery from its resident folder, to the cache folder, then reading it from there.Unless you've specifically selected "cache this scenery" when installing add-on scenery (and if you did, you should go back to the add-on scenery and disable the option), the cache folder will always be empty. The empty on exit option clears it when it is used in the manner I described above. As for the size, I just leave it at the default setting, since it goes unused.-John