Sign in to follow this  
alastairmonk

expected framerates?

hi all, im hoping to get a new pc (finally). im getting a athlon 2200+, gforce 4 ti4600 and 512mb rdram. what frame rate should i expect will all settings to full. do you have a similar setup, if so what framerate do you get at lhr on a outside view with a complexed plane like the project airbus a320, you help is greatly appreciated.if possible could you post a screen shot or two, thanks in advance, :-wave

Guest united777

well, this is an answer you'll have to find out your self, as each system runs different, some are better at speed, some are better at the efficietcy* of running progs and so on and so fourth. that being said, with that type of system, one we'd ALL love to have, I can say you'd probably get some major kick a$$ FPS. probably 25fps at any Simflyers scenery, so just know, you'll have PERFECT flying. so don't worry, your system will be fine ;-) http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d51a5440e3ce469.jpg"come fly our friendly skies" (by friendly, we MEAN FRIENDLY ;)

How many "frames" a minute can the human eye handle? Serious question.-------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Guest SD Sim

Hi Paul,That question certainly should elicit a post or two ;). This topic has been covered before at great length, and I'll avoid lighting the fire. Look up Max Cowgill (as author) in the archives, that certainly should keep you busy for a couple of hours :-lol.

Guest RiddlePilot

A movie is shot at 24 FPS. I remember seeing that on Movie Magic on Discovery Channel.

Thanks for the info guys, I won't disagree cuz it honestly don't matter that much to me, just a bit curious... :)Thanks Again!--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

Guest SD Sim

Precisely correct Travis, which is why I keep my frames locked at 25. But there are those out there that would swear that they can tell the difference between 25 and 50...Oops, there I go again. And after vowing to not stray into a potential hot spot.

Guest Pieter

> Oops, there I go again. And after vowing...As you said... ;-) However, I still say the framerate display of MSFS is a gimmick. It does not tell the whole truth. I've had 40-50fps on display, but unfortunately the whole thing still created a feeling of jumpiness and jerkiness, very often... Then loading a custom aircraft with custom gauges makes it even worse. IMHO I think MS did not solve the slow framerate issues of the past, they just dispersed it and divided the CPU load more away from the gauges over to the scenery display window now. I can't fly when the altimeter, ASI or any other gauge jumps in numbers of 10 or 100's while the FPS show a "smooth" 24... What are we here for? To gawk at the scenery or to simulate smooth flying aircraft with smooth sweeping gauge needles in the cockpit? The MS programmers knew we would all fall in love with the new scenery, thus conspiring to divert the attention away from the real (past and now enhanced) framerate issue - the jerky cockpit display itself... :-lolPieter

it will be a sure upgrade from my p3 750 mhz with a 32mb tnt gpu, i cant wait :-walksmile :-jumpy

Hi,I have an Athlon XP2000, 512 ram, 64 Nvidia card - and FS2002 Prof.Now frame rates is something I was very interested in, since I found with all settings at MAX that I would get 11 fps. Yes 11 fps. That would happen if waiting to taxi at a major airport, say Gatwick. Usually when flying the rate would be close to 30 if set at 30 or 35 as now with the lock at 35. To be honest I think you would be very luck if you were to get over 25 all the time - and yes 25 is a film speed. My advice is to play with the settings, but accept that FS2002 is just as bad as FS2000 for frame rates.Keith

Guest Pieter

>very luck if you were to get over 25 all the time - That 25 was obtained with about all what fascinated me about the new FS turned down to zero, yes, all sliders close to minimums and no generic scenery except for a few aircraft in the air with me. This on a 1gig Celeron (512meg+128meg SDRAM, PC133, and GeForce2 32meg VGA) IMHO a most standard system for a chap not able to update to the latest technology for each FS release ;-)At least I expected a bit more...>but accept that FS2002 is just as bad as FS2000 for frame rates.However, this is nice to know that I'm not that stupid and alone in a view...Pieter

My system is slightly lower spec than yours, GeForce 2 Ti200 and Athlon 1.7, and, with most sliders up towards or at maximum, I get frame rates hovering around 20+ in the air. My frame rate lock is set to 20, and around Gary Summons' UK2000 LHR scenery this drops closer to 10, but this is as much to do with the non-GMAX aircraft I have for AI as the fact that his scenery is very dense.My guess is that with your, higher, spec system, you should get "reasonable" frame rates most of the time.If you're currently flying the "default" LHR, do look at Gary Summons' replacement, as it's far better:http://www.uk2000scenery.com/puplic/Cheers,