Sign in to follow this  
greeneg

Windows ME work well with FS2002 and Saitek X36?

Does Windows ME work well with FS2002?I'm upgrading my system and also from the looks of things i need to install FS on fresh as it keeps on hanging, i think maybe i should just give my computer abit of a clean.Any info on this version of Windows ME and its performance with an X36 Saitek joystick would be much appreciated.Thanks Will

Guest Rob

Hey Will,Windows ME is a comprehensive waste of time - you would be FAR better off with Windows XP.

Hi,Have used this combination for over a year with no problems at all.Ed

>Hey Will, >>Windows ME is a comprehensive waste of time - you would be >FAR better off with Windows XP. Is that using a Saitek X36 Rob?????

I hope you mean the combination of ME and the Saitek X36 Ed(i guess so).I've had many problems with my X36 rudder axis on my current system, it could be down to 2 things..- Old USB port (new motherboard has USB Version 2 Port)- Windows 98SE - the joystick might function better on a better stable system, as most things now are being built around XP and above.Also does ME stop files/clusters being lost everytime FS hangs and you have to reboot?I sure hope so, because after i've updated my Norton Utilities to a more recent version, it doesn't seem to scan in DOS for lost clusters etc with it's special program. I only now get the old inadequate SCAN DISK doing the job instead, and thats why my FS is freezing up because i guess somethings happend to one or two files in FS.CheersWill

Guest DSandberg

Windows ME and FS2K2 work nicely together for me with either my Saitek X36 USB or my CH USB Yoke. No crashes, no problems.- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Windows ME and fs2002 work just fine together.But Windows ME is pretty unstable so I suggest keep Windows 98 or upgrade to Win Xp.Rivle.

Hi Will. Maybe I can be some help here. First of all the advice to go to Win XP over Win ME is good advice: XP is far more stable and just performs better than ME. Having said that, you are most likely going to have some problems with the X-36 software in both ME and XP. Whn I was running ME, I found that the Microsoft intellipont mouse software and the Saitek Gaming Extension Software ( the programmer for the X-36) would not work together and I got system instablitiy and lockups. The old Saitek software is not XP compliant and will not work. There is a perfectly good XP driver on the Saitek site which does quite well (ver 1.7, I think) and allows you to use the Microsoft Programmer built into FS2002 to use most ( not all) of the buttons on the X-36. You must be using the USB version of the X-36 for this driver to work; the older game-port version is not supported. There is a version of the Saitek programmer for XP on there site, but I haven't had much luck with it and can't recommend it. Supposedly there will be an updated version but hadn't shown up as of last week. Look over the Saitek site [www.saitek.com]and their user forum; lots of good info and some other options there as well. Summary: if you're going to upgrade go to XP not ME.Hope that helps,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Guest DSandberg

Whereas I moved from Win95B directly to ME and skipped 98 altogether, so ME seems rock-solid to me compared to what I used to have on my machine. :)- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Guest DSandberg

No conflicts with an MS optical mouse and the Saitek SGE software in Windows ME on my system, but then again I eschewed the intelliport drivers and just use the Windows mouse driver.Of course that isn't to say that the Saitek SGE software is my favorite thing in the world. In fact I think the software designer must have been on heavy meds when he wrote up the spec. :-roll - David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Cheers for that info Ed. Looks like its gona have to be XP then.I'm using a USB version of the X36, its just a pitty that i can't use the "modes" selector switch which would let you use all the approx. 60 buttons. Do you know if there is some software either about, or coming out which allows one to use the mode selector switch?ThanksWill

Guest Rob

Hey Vulcan,I used a USB Saitek Cyborg under Windows ME for some time - and had no end of problems because Windows kept losing the USB settings. This after a month or two became very annoying, the

Hi,Yes I did mean WinMe and Saitek X36. I have never had the problems that others have reported using Me. It could be that it is because I built my own system or the fact I know what is going on with the software programs.Right now I am using a 3 yr old computer, P3 500 and the Saitek has worked flawlessly with this old setup.As to the files and clusters being lost, that hasn't happened to me in years. Probably since I upgraded from Windows 3.0. Last night I was working on a panel and FS2k2 hung several times. No problem, I just rebooted the computer.I also keep everything up to date as much as possible. Good luck,Ed

Hi Will. If you look on the user forum off of the Saitek site, there are anumber of non supported utilities/drivers/ programing software options which apparently do allow the use of the mode selector and all of the buttons. I'm not computer literate enough/ too lazy to spend the time to use them but there have been other references to them on this board as wll as a lot of info on the Saitek users site. I don't do any other "games" so the MS FS2002 programer works fine for me most of the time.Best regards,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.comAddendum: Will I just checked the Saitek site and don't see the link to the un-offical forum that I was referring to. Here it is:[http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/]They also have an offical forum now which I don't remeber seeing before.Ed