Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

LANDING CHALLENGE!! I08

Thanks Francois. I'll go downlaod now and I'll give mountain flying another go! :DTake careMike

Guest ucanfly

WOW thanks for the tip on this challenging rwy! I actually did it in the Baron several times (using Steve Small's airfile). By following the creek and looping right and then slipping it in after I was reasonably clear of tres. Fantastic feeling when you land here. The takeoff is almost as difficult. Needless to say I wouldn't want to do that in real life!

Guest emergency_pants

Yikes.. they're all difficult runways to land!!I08 is a good one!Runway 20 was a real challenge... I followed the valley up the mountain, left downwind and then turned into another valley which runs down at about 30' to rw20. A full flaps approach in the Cessna Skylane. There's no way to come in straight into runways like this as far as I can tell. I haven't tried runway 02 yet.I managed it ok though. In the Cessan and in the Commander.Great route!! Thanks for posting it Brian... I'd like to try more of these... where can I find more flight plans like this? It's a good test of skill and great scenery!Simon.

I've never really landed at a strip like that! I've been flying the Dreamfleet Archer for months (almost exclusively), and while I've really enjoyed flying in high and tight spaces (Colorado Rockies and then, recently, way down inside the Grand Canyon), I've just never landed on a runway quite like I08!I took off at the large regional airport on the south end of the lake about 55 nm west of I08 ... don't remember the name of it!I loaded up FSFlightMax with the Sectional for the area. This enabled me to follow valleys, creeks, and roads to get to the airport. Even with the Sectional displayed with my position marked over it, I nearly missed the strip! I turned to look and BAM there it was. Luckily, I was already very low and very slow with full flaps ... that long east-west valley just south of the strip is great for setting up your profile. Had to turn pretty sharply (bleeding even more airspeed and altitude) and I heard the stall horn go off when I was a bit too far from the end of the runway! I added power quickly enough to avoid crashing, but the upshot was I touched down (again with the stall horn wailing at me) about halfway down the runway. Had to actually CUT the engine as I breaked in order to stop in time. :)What fun!!!I'm a-gonna' try my hand at some bush flying. --Tony

Thanks so much for sharing !!! I tried to land on both sides and 02 is the easiest way you can get down, the plateau on 20 is harder to clear.Thanks again

I took off in the Cessna T-50 Bobcat runway 02 turned right and landed runway 02 without a problem. Guess I was lucky.Nice approach .Thanks for the tip.

Replying to my own post here ???? Oh well :-lolReading some of the landing reports in this thread I started wondering what mesh add-ons (if any) ya'll are using.With the default MS scenery it ispossible to land most aircraft from both sides on that runway.... however.... if you load some good mesh then it becomes a whole lot harder (and more realistic) to land there !!!The only real way in is via the valley and over the trees, not over the mountain at the end.... For your info, I am using FSGenesis' US mesh and trees by Garrish (might have misspelled his name) to make things more exciting ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I also did it using FSGenesis 75m base terrain add-on, and Gerrish's trees.--Tony

hehe...I used the default mesh and I still could not get in or out....I got the 185 the you suggested and I'll give it a try tonight.Take careMike

LOL... well the textures make no big difference.. the mesh does ! ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Hello Mike,yes there are some STOL planes that make this easier. I just did the whole round robin trip that Brian S suggested with a Beaver and a Pilatus Turbo Porter. -Peace of cake, when you are able to maintain an approach speed between 40 and 50 knots with full flaps. I even had a little crosswind in there (273/8) to make it more realistic. Acually I thought that getting into 85U was the most challenging approach. I don't think that I could have made it using a Cessna and definitely not with a Baron.Regards from LOWS.

managed to land a posky c17 there.had her at under 50k lbs fuel and landed her with full flaps+speedbrakes and overshot the runway but didnt hit a tree.took me like 20 attempts but its doable. the problem is not stopping but loosing heightthat field is a real challenge thanks for posting bout it