Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

LANDING CHALLENGE!! I08

I've gotton kinda interested in virtual moutain flying and looked up some moutain airports on the net and found a bunch of good airports in idahothis is the round robin i'm trying to fly:KBOI - 3U2 - U60 - I08 - 85U - 79U - S81 - KBOIeverything was going well until i tried to go from U60 to I08 - HOW IN THE WORLD CAN ANYONE LAND ON I08???!!!! can you folks like to try it and make it, please tell me how you did it, I consider myself an above avg. fltsimmer (simming since ver 3.0) and I just cant seem to get this, all was fine yesterday until i came in to high and i went to power up and no power - went into the hill and trees, not good.I tried the above using the piper archer,can someone try it using the C208GC ?? or any plane for that matterthanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Rob

Hey Brian,Certainly sounds like an interesting route you have there! I too agree that there is nothing better than mountain flying within Flight Simulator, especially since FS2002 brought VFR flying into its element. I'll go take a look at I08 and get back to you. :-).

Guest Lizardo

Try comming in from the south, using creek valleys. :-)

HiU60 to I08 can be done with the Cessna or Baron58 the key is to carry a low amount of fuel, say 30%, no flaps,trim up and try to keep to the runway.Hope this helps

No Flaps?????Doesn't seem right... I did it last night right before I went to bed, came in from the north and still managed to hit the runway (3/4 down) ;-)))Hit a tree, then went to bed ;-))

Guest DNelson

Never tried it in MSFS, but here's what my trusty Flight Guide has to say about I08:Own risk. Not recommended except pilots with local knowledge. Can be hazardous; might be closed in spring. Land rwy 2, takeoff rwy 20; go-around not possible (high terrain). Summers recommend arrive/depart early morning or late evening.Since this airport is at almost 6000 ft, make sure your mixture is set for maximum power before takeoff. In spite of another response, I'd approach this airport with full flaps since your speed will be considerably lower.Dan

>Since this airport is at almost 6000 ft, make sure your >mixture is set for maximum power before takeoff. In spite >of another response, I'd approach this airport with full >flaps since your speed will be considerably lower.Having taken a run at this airport several times of late (I'd initially thought I wanted to pick up with BFU, but since I'm still a rookie at finding the smaller strips, I went off to practice by myself)....Absolutely you must land with full flaps. A STOL type aircraft would be a good idea, too. Lizardo's suggestion of following those creek valleys is spot on! Or you can check this BFU thread for a [a href=http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID44/349.html]father/daughter fishing trip[/a] and see how it was done.

Guest Jozef_K

Brian,Have a look at http://www.mountainflying.com/cabinck1.htmThere you'll find info about Cabin Creek USFS (I08), including the figure 8 approach. Click on the thumbnails on that page to enlarge. "Remarks: Go-around is NOT possible; this strip requires that the proper approach be made ... every time." Hope this helps.http://httpd.chello.nl/~j-kusters/logo.gif(when my sig doesn't show: my provider has something messed up with the members pages) [link:Ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Tradewind/"]Visit TCA TradeWind ]Jozef[/font

Well, you inspired me to try that airport. That forrest in front of RWY 3 is now littered with about 10 Cessnas! :-lol Then I tried the other way...(rwy20) and that end is also littered with 3 Cessnas...err pieces of Cessnas. I got out finally by turning left after take-off and dodging trees like a race car. I turned left in the valley and climbed....hardly. Then I turned left at the next valley and went past another airfield...went straight and there was another airfield....so I said OK, let's settle her there. I descended, did some circles and came in from the south of the strip..over the mountain, full flaps, nose down...but I was too high and I gained too much speed so I initiated a go-around, turned right to get away from the huge rock-face in front...but the ground was rising fast and I littered another Cessna in the forrest.I started over taking off from I08..dodging trees, go to that strip again...circle around, descend over the hill and i came too fast...go-around...GULP! Again? This time I turned left and i made tight circles between the mountain faces until I climbed over them. Then I came around again...descended in circles above the strip...and lined up...I side-slipped the plane to lose speed and I wacked the ground at 100KTS in a side-slipped position...I misjudged my height coming in nose-down at 120 KTS...with full flaps!!!!Now I can honestly say that Mountain Flying is not for me... :-lolAny advice for a lost cas like me? Is there a better plane then the C-172/182 to use in these strips...except a helicopter?Take careMike

easy... use a helicopter... especilly a huey! they will get u out of anywhere!Dan

OK I first tried it with the trusty Baron. The first time, I flared off about halfway down the runway but I came down too hard and I wasn't perfectly level so I crashed upon touchdown.Another try with the Baron. This time I flared out about 3/4 down the runway. I started retracting the flaps right away and hit hard on the brakes but I ran into a tree at the end of the runway (those replacement Autogen trees are dense! and hard!).Screw the Baron. I figured it would be easier with something slower so I choose the Cessna 182 with the RealAir .air file. This time I came down quite nicely and slammed the brakes. I rolled and rolled and rolled...and finaly I rolled to a stop. I passed the end of the runway but I didn't hit anything this time. It was pure luck, the next time I tried it, I rolled into a tree again. I guess the fact that the Cessna is slower was outweighed by the fact that I use the Baron 75% of the time so I'm really used to it.So the problem I have is comming to a stop before the end of the runway. I also come out misaligned on final many times so I have to keep correcting it as I'm about to touch down and all the time, the end of the runway is getting closer and closer and you see that huge mountain ahead of you growing taller and taller.But the bigger problem for me is getting OUT of the airfield. I always loose to much airspeed in the climb, stall and hit the mountainside. I have to use slew mode to take off...how is everyone doing their takeoffs from there?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yu problem is stopping eh? My problem is touching the ground... :-lol I either balloon over the runway and decorate the mountain-side or I touchdown like a brick at 120KTS and make a crater in the runway! :-lolGotta keep trying...and I want to get out and back in without a helicopter...because I cannot even get off the ground with the helicopter.Take careMike

:-lol :-lol First of all...read my feature article on Mountain flying in Computer Pilot Magazine..... it's been written based on own experience and stories by real mountain flying instructors. It indeed tells you about the dangers of flying in the mountains, at high altitudes, off small landing strips. Dangers such as limited space to turn around, no space to overshoot, low oxygen for your engine etc. So take that into account.In France, and I am sure in other countries as well, you need a special license to even land there... it requires at least 10 hours additional instruction from a qualified outfit.As for how to do it... first of all, pick a qualified aircraft. Regular mountain pilots do not fly the run of the mill Cessna into those places ;-) STOL aircraft are recommended, powerfull engines too, but no speed! Take a Porter Pilatus, a Beaver, a Jodel or Robin, or (with losts of patience to get there) a Piper Cub ! That will make your life a lot easier ! :-) Then landing is done with full flaps and as low a speed as possible. Slamming down your aircraft on the runway is never a good thing, except in a real emergency, and is not recommended by any manufacturer. If you balloon over the ruway that means you have too much speed and too much flare! Come down in landing configuration with low speed in a steady descent, aim for a spot on the runway that clears you from the trees. If you fly a flat approach you will see the trees in your way and have to 'dive' down after clearing them...not good ! (Unless you literally want to 'clear' the area :-lol )But first thing to do in all cases is circle the airfield to understand the approach, see the best path between the mountains and plan your access. Remember, many airstrips in the mountains can only be accessed from one direction, departure and arrival in opposite directions, so you also need to make sure nobody is taking off from the strip you want to land on ;-)Have fun and let us know how you are doing !! :-jumpy :-jumpy :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Cool! That's great advice. Most of the things I was aware of and I was thinking about the things you said but it's easier said then done.. :-lolI'll go and download some nice powerful plane...what do you recomment? Is there a nice one with a VC?I'm sure I saw a Cub with a VC a while backTake careMike

Hi Mike,the only aircraft in that list with a VC are Mikko's 185 (freeware) and FSD's Super Cub (payware). Both excellent planes. But I like the Beaver as well, has an excellent 2-D cockpit by Fred Banting and Yannick Lavigne and flies real well :-)You can find the freeware aircaft here at AVSIM.... easier still... download them via Don's ABC or our BFU sites (see my sig).Have fun !! :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog