Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Vapour Trails

Hi,I'm just looking at the possibility of putting some vapour trails onto my aircraft and the question I have is this:Vapour trails normally form in humid air and can be seen coming off of the trailing edge of the flaps, but do they also tend to come off of winglets where fitted. i.e. on the 747-400 and Airbuses?I know a load of designers put vapour trails in the smokesystem entry of the aircraft cfg file but these just seem to come from the flaps, is this right or should they also be set up to come off of winglets?I've looked at loads of aircraft pics and none are totally clear.What do you guys think?Thanks,Steve.

Guest RonB49

Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw what I think is a C-17 (Do they have winglets?) on final for landing at Kelly USA (old Kelly AFB in San Antonio) on a VERY HUMID morning (we were still recovering from our week-long rain that totaled 26 inches in my backyard). At any rate there were vivid trails from the winglet area but none from the flaps. As I say this, be aware that I am about 5 - 6 Nm from the runway so the flaps were not extended fully over my house.I say the "winglet area" because the vapour trail seemed to come from the bendy-part (right where the wing turns upward) not the tip. R-