Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Stutters can have many reasons !

Guest gasebah

Over the last weeks I had stutters, sometimes more sometimes less. I have a fast system and could not really remeber if I always had them when I got them....I tried everything. Playing around with the IRQs, tweaking my video drivers, ,tweaking flightmax... Actually it got better, but it never went away. Today I made a flight frm LSZH to LOWJ through the alps (pretty daring with their weather at the moment). The computer almost stopped. Framerates were degrading so fast, that I knew there must be something totally wrong. I tweaked and played again. Nothing would make the problem go away. I decided what the heck you will end this flight.It was not before my final that I saw some trees hanging in the air. I knew exactly what was the problem. I installed the GAIA mesh for Germany, Switzerland and Austria a few weeks ago. And I also have scenery enhancer a CD that has mesh for a lot of European countries. I forgot to delete their mesh for western europe. So I had two conflicting very detailed mesh sceneries almost everywhere I use to fly. I had to go through the alps to really realize that. I deleted it and frame rates went up 300%. No stutters anymore.I wanted to share this as sometimes you are really looking at the wrong places.Alex

This is an excellent post and thread!I've sometimes seen stutters when I've used Microsoft's "find" feature to search for a file, then forgot to close it before launching FS2002. The "find" feature periodically searches for matches, even in the background.Conflicting scenery files have also caused issues, as you pointed out. That's why I keep a baseline scenery.cfg--whenever things seem to spin out of control in the fps department, I first rule out scenery caused problems by restoring my baseline scenery.cfg...-John

First things first,:-beerchug John, THANK YOU for the brand new autoland (excellent program!!!)Secondly, please explain "restoring baseline scenery.cfg" for those of us less edumicated. I always get the stutters when visiting KATL and I am using Bill Molony's great scenery there. You have me wondering now if I need to do something to my scenery.cfg or is the huge loss of FPS due to normal complexities. I'm running a P4, 1.5ghz, 512MB SDRAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, and just didn't feel my FPS drop to 3-5 range was justified. I rarely have any stutters in default scenery and I keep FPS locked at 23. Any help, greatly appreciated.Vince

Thanks for your feedback on Autoland...As for what I mean about restoring the baseline scenery.cfg, over at the fsgateway tips page, I have a default scenery.cfg posted as part of my FS2002/Windows 95 install guide. When all else fails, I rename my scenery.cfg to scenery.sav, and save a "basic" scenery.cfg using that default (I have it saved on my hard drive as default.scenery.cfg).To date, I've never had to reinstall FS2002 when I've run into a problem. Between scenery.cfg, and FS2002.cfg, 99 pct. of the issues "fixed" by a reinstall can be fixed by restoring either or both of these files (although in the case of FS2002.cfg, you simply rename it, and FS2002 will build a new one).As for your scenery fps loss, I've seen a trend with 3rd party add-ons. Normally, at a "gated" airport like Atlanta or LAX, my P3/800 cranks out a fair 15-20 fps. But I recently installed the Mexico City airport update--another gated airport, but a 3rd party one. I'm lucky to manage 10fps with that update. Makes me believe Microsoft uses a "trick" for some of their scenery--Oshkosh is a good example of this. All that static scenery, if found in a 3rd party update, would bring my system to its knees. Yet I manage 25fps at Oshkosh. I can't wait to see this all revealed in the scenery SDK :)-John

Conflicting sceneries can be a pain. I once had two scenery files installed for the SW of the US and the result was that the whole of California south of San Francisco was covered by huge brown squares.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

".....that the whole of California south of San Francisco was covered by huge brown squares."Perhaps a realistic rendering of SoCal smog? :)