Sign in to follow this  
someone

Crackling sound

Updated Soundblaster live drivers under XP and sound is crackling like a scratched record. Anyone had similar problem and found a way to fix or improve it?ThanksBill

jerrycwo4 I have a Sound Blaster AUDIGY sound card that started giving me intermitent static for approx 5-30 seconds each time I boot up ( approx a coupe minutes after bootup). Don't know the reason for it... i just live with the problem. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Jerry

I'am runnig XP Pro with the Audigy and I believe I had the same issue until I disable the on-board audio in the bios. If you haven't done this yet you might give that a try.Pete

I'd like a recommendation on a sound card for Win XP Pro for when I upgrade. I'm currently running win98 with the SBLiveMP3 card. I upgraded to that one a couple years ago from a MontegoII A3D card. Let me just say that it was a major disappointment and more of a downgrade than an upgrade. Too bad the Montego Cards are no longer made and not really compatible anymore with many of the newer sims. That MontegoII A3D sound just plain blew away the Creative SBLiveMP3 card. Especially in Sims like Freespace that supported A3D sound. Anyway, I was looking at the Audigy Gamer card and have serious reservations about it running trouble free in WinXP Pro and FS2002, CFS2,3 and the like.

Guest emergency_pants

Tell the person behind you to stop eating potato chips!(sorry, I couldn't resist that one!)Simon

I'am using the Soundblaster Audigy MP3 card and other than having to disable the on-board bios, I've had no problems. Works well with FS2K2 and XP Pro.Pete

Guest SD Sim

Through your BIOS, which can usually be entered by holding down the delete key during boot up. Many mainboards will also have onboard jumpers to allow you to disable the sound.

Guest PhilC

I don't have onboard sound but I had the problem with the new drivers also. I fixed it by going back to my original drivers. :-)

If you have a Dell machine stay away from the Audigy (Under XP that is). There are some major problems with the Dell BIOS which haven't been sorted out satisfactorily for most users. My Audigy EX Platinum is gathering dust in the cupboard. I have a Hercules Game Theater XP which I am well pleased with - and its cheaper than the Audigy --Shame I ended up buying both!!:-(Keith Cocker

Guest PhilC

Oh yeah, one more neat thing...after I went back to the older SBLive drivers, not only did the crackling go away but all of the new utilities that installed with the latest driver still work.

Phil,When I updated the drivers I got a new playcenter, Audio HQ etc. Are you saying that if I roll back the drivers I will still have and be able to use the new playcenter etc?If so I will do that, becuase the other drivers worked great.ThanksBill

Guest PhilC

Bill,I have used the Play Center and the Recorder with no problems. The new Minidisc center runs but I have no way to test it. It seems that the new mixer and AudioHQ do not work but they weren't much different than the older ones anyway.My first post was a little misleading. Hope it didn't cause any problems for anyone.

I too am suffering from the cracklies. I have a SB Live! 5.1 OEM. I've been going back & forth with creative support on this. I've tried everything they've suggested and nothing works.I've tried disabling ACPI and manually assigning it an unused IRQ in the BIOS, swapping PCI slots, and changing numerous BIOS settings. I had to reinstall XP Pro after doing all of that, becaus aparently once you remove ACPI, there is no way to get it back.