Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

autothrottle and concorde in fs2002

Guest Boone

Scott / Ray,Just want to say thanks to a very interesting thread. I am looking forward to trying to fly the concorde 'over the pond' this weekend using your precious information. I couldn't have found it any where else, so cheers to the both of you and I'll be sure to post any questions right here!Regards,Boone

Hi Boone,I'm pleased you found much useful info to encourage you. Please report back when you've completed your first flight.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>When using the Air France Concorde in fs2002,upon engaging >autothrottle, set speed is not maintained rather the >throttles are throttled back ultimately leading to a stall. >I don't seem to be experiencing this with other planes. >>Any suggestions? I was unable to come up with anything in >the archives. >Rick In FS2K2 no AC will maintain set SDP on Climb and descent. They fly lower than set on climb and faster on descent. This is because MS linked the GS to SPD Rate Feedback, and the AC sees an increasing speed rate due to GS increasing with altitude when IAS is constant. Thus, it thinks the AC is increasing speed and moves the throttle down. Just the opposite for descent. Slow climbs and descents have the least effect. The high VS in some parts of the Concorde flight profile increases the effect. The effect is less for Mach SPD hold since Mach number is more closely connected to TAS than IAS is. Mach number decreases slowly up to FL 360 when TAS is constant. And, GS is equal to TAS if there is no wind. Worse yet are changes in the Wind. If there are winds aloft a turn will change the SPD for many seconds. Only after things have stabilized will speed evenutally get back to the set SPD. The Concorde is likely to slow so much (half the time) it can't get back to set Mach number in cruise. It's best to fly the Concorde with wide open throttle for climb and cruise, and set VS to hold to Vmo. At least, for more realistic AIR files that don't set excessive thrust. -RAF

Guest Scott Campbell

Ron,Thanks for the explanation. I always wondered what the AP speed hold was tied to. No matter what aircraft I use, the IAS is always 10 knots or more slower than the setting.This needs a serious fix. The AP is definitely not an improvement in 2K2, and I find myself often switching off the speed hold and setting the throttles manually.

Guest Boone

Hi Ray / Scott,I squeezed in a quick flight before I had to devote some time towards the ball and chain last night and must say I had a very successful test flight (after downloading all the extra's you guys reccommednded). I managed to climb to FL580 and hold cruise speed at Mach 2.02. Wow! It really felt good. I initiated a descent that went smoothly too. I'll try landing tonight before the ball and chain requires more attention!Couple of sim things I noticed: The horizon shook a really small amount but when I looked from spot view everything seemed fine. Don't know whether it was just Flight Simulator not coping with the speed. But one thing I do know travelling in Concorde is so smooth you can balance a coin on its side.In spot view I couldn't pan around the aircraft as if the simulator couldn't keep up with the model!Shame there isn't a more realistic looking model available. The Microsoft one only looks nice from above! But it's the dynamics that count and I really appreciate what everyone did to get this thing working better.Also I downloaded the replacement textures by Adnane Bourja. Looks much better. Cheers all and thanks again for the precious information.Boone

Hi Boone,How enjoyable it is to know that someone appreciated all that chat we had and that as a result you had a great flight. If you want the actual route send me an e-mail and I'll send you what I have.<>I've experienced this as well and I'd have to put it down to the aircraft and FS2002. I was never aware of it in FS2K. It doesn't seem to last long anyway.<>Haven't had this problem. I can't imagine why it would happen.<>Agreed. A comercial GMax package would be much appreciated by many. I'm sure if you're a regular visitor to this site you'll soon hear if one is announced.Hope the landing goes okay!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Boone

Cheers Ray,Couldn't figure out your e-mail address but I would love it if you could send me the actual flight routes! I know I could find them here (and elsewhere) but if you don't mind it would certainly save me some time! I use standard GPS in FS if that's any use to you.Look forward to your response and thanks again.Best,Booneleinster@gofree.indigo.ie

Hi Boone,I'm sending you Word docs on Concorde plus a FSNav4 plan and a FS2002 one as well.When you fly this plan you should ignore the altitudes for each waypoint and use the instructions I posted earlier in this thread instead (included in the zip).I only have info for the westbound flight -sorry. Have fun!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Lenny Zaman

Weird, as a BAV Senior Captain, i fly the Concorde often now, and never have any problems, only the approach sequence is pretty tricky... i wonde rhow tricky it'd be in real LOLCheersi do use a special package, no more information

Lenny,<>Is this meant to tease us? Unless you're under some sort of NDA perhaps you'd like to be more specific. Otherwise what was the purpose of your intruiging message?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather