Sign in to follow this  
alastairmonk

Newbie pilot with FS98 to FS2000 to FS2K questions

Hello!Got bit by the flying bug and recently loaded up FS98 after about 3 years of being out of it. My question is what will I gain by upgrading to FS2000 or FS2K?As I understand it ( and feel free to correct me) is that I can fly on Vatsim with FS98 and the correct version of Squawkbox. However, in brushing up on whats out there, most of the virtual airlines are using FS2000 or 2k, so to participate that way I almost have to upgrade. So beyond these 2 items, what features are available in 2000 or 2K that make them worthy of upgrading to? The enhanced scenery is probably not so much of an issue given my systems specs:Celeron 300Voodoo 3 video128 meg ramThanks in advance...americanflyer

I can't comment on FS2000, but FS2002 comes with substantially better scenery and is the main target for some superb payware/freeware addons. The concept of mesh scenery means that you get real terrain to fly through/over, you get Version 1 of MS's ATC, and the AI traffic makes the whole sim seem more alive (as does FS98's FSTraffic)The likes of the DreamFleet 737, Piper Archer, Flight1 Cessna 421C, FSD Commander and Piper Cheyenne are hugely enjoyable to fly, and far, far, better than anything in FS98. And I speak as a big fan of FS98.In your case this is academic, as your current system won't run either. If you want to keep your current system, stay and enjoy FS98. I know several happy simmers who still swear by it.If you want to see what you're missing, get a new PC ! If you can afford it, you'll never regret the decision.