Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

MSFS and bad habits for the real world

OK I agree it is possible to land pitch down as illustrated but it is also possible to approach nose slightly up and land perfectly in FS ie:flat appraoch.Try the SPL landing lessons and try doing pitch down approach within the limitations -not possible and not real.Hense, I think this is not good practise for the real world.

>OK I agree it is possible to land pitch down as illustrated >but it is also possible to approach nose slightly up and >land perfectly in FS ie:flat appraoch.Try the SPL landing >lessons and try doing pitch down approach within the >limitations -not possible and not real.Hense, I think this >is not good practise for the real world. I'm doing the reverse here. I use real pilot technique to see if MSFS works. Until these evening, I've never bothered with any of the lessons. But I did try the "student pilot lesson #2". I managed to obtain a final approach speed of 75 kias as the instructor wanted. I also managed to round out, flare, and a nice landing on the mains. I thought it worked quite well.I should also mention that back in my real world student days, I did tend to land "flat" far to often. It was "beat" into my head, to raise the nose and keep that plane flying until the last bit of lift was gone. The key is to keep the nose at the perfect attitude, while bleeding off speed. I can't say how well transitioning from simulated lessons on the PC screen to real piloting will work. I'm doing the opposite here, and my brain fills in the voids & feel of it all. Since I can do it that way, it makes the sim seem quite emmersive and real. I also use the VC cockpit alot for improved visual cues.BTW---- the instrument landing course I just tried was quite fun. My CPU was keeping a constant 35 fps in the haze which made for a nice smooth flight.L.Adamson