Sign in to follow this  
Guest 727Fan

Just a Reminder for those new to this hobby (Obsession)

Guest Heather 636

Once again, things were starting to get strange and funky with FS2002, not to mention downright frustrating!I had reached a juncture where things were messing up when they had worked just fine the day before. FS was crashing back to desktop when I would try to change views. I couldn't start a "saved flight" that had worked fine the day before. Etc. Etc.Then, just when I was beginning to have the anxious thought that I may have to reinstall everything. I remembered . . .After making a backup, I deleted the FS2002.cfg file and got a fresh start. Everything working beautifully now.The only drawback to doing that is having to put in all of your settings again, but what have you got to lose when the thing is crashing 75% of the time.So, for those of you new to this sim, deleting the FS2002.cfg file is one of those little tricks that quite often does the trick when things are starting to get funky for no apparent reason.Cheers!Heather

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,Excellent advice, but to add a tiny bit. When I have 2K2 set up and running the way I like, I just make a copy of FS2002.cfg and copy back to the original if need be.Fortunately, I've needed to only once. The thing has been really stable for me - unlike 2K which crashed regularly if I breathed at it.

Once a week or so I click on 'Reset' in all my display settings.... at one time I would have only fuzzy scenery, jagged edges and what not.. and I kept tweaking and tweaking an tweaking..... it only got worse.Click reset and change some of the major sliders to your preference and your sim acts as new :-) :-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest JonP01

I got into the habit long ago of always launching FS & CFS2 using a DOS batch file. Amongst other things, the DOS batch file sets up the display settings in the registry, sets the desired screen refresh rate, and copies a master configuration file to the sim cfg file. This way I can stuff around with settings however I like (notthat I change settings often) knowing that simply relaunching the sim gets me out of any undesirable situation.Before I did this it used to be a real pain, especially setting up the display settings. For example, on my motorsport sims, I just use 2 x aniso, but with CFS2 and FS2002 I use 4 x aniso. It is much easier to change all these settings and also load and run the sim with the single click of one icon.

Guest JonP01

Not sure of that one, as I am a bit behind the times when it comes to OS's. I know it works in Win98, Win98SE and WinME. I think it does work with Win 2000. Win XP I haven't clue unfortunately.

Guest 727Fan

Heather. Let me get this right.I delete the .cfg file and things smooth out?Where is this file you mentioned located? I make a back-up copy, then delete it.Does the sim create a new one by itself and insert it where the old one was?Sorry, just a bit confused on procedure and its consequences.Thanks for the advice. My performance has degraded somewhat too, and it's nice to know something can be done without having to re-install.Rick