Sign in to follow this  
Guest Martin

Don't Know Whether to Cry or Shoot It !! Maybe Both.

Guest Heather 636

I could REALLY use some help here because I am stumped and almost get nauseated at the thought of having to reinstall FS2002.Over the last few days, FS has started acting up.Whenever I try to change views, like from external to back into the cockpit, or zooming in or out from within the cockpit, FS locks up and dumps me back to Desktop.I have tried starting with a new FS2002.cfgI thought that fixed it but spoke too soon.Since I recently acquired a new joystick, I tried going back to the old one, no dice.I have rebooted the PC, turned off EVERYTHING in the background, fresh FS2002.cfg, default Meigs field; STILL does it!!I have even ran a virus scan on FS to see if that is the unlikely culprit. Nothing showed up.I have been working just about 100% on the Grumman Duck project so have done little else to the Sim as far as add-ons or the like. The only thing I recall recently doing is changing the English.fll file from the "Remove the BRAKES and PARKING BRAKES messages" by Roy Chaffin. Changing that back is about the ONLY thing I haven't done in my attempt to fix this problem.God! I hope I don't have to reinstall. The scenery alone would take me days!!This is REALLY getting me depressed.I sure hope one of you have seen this problem before and knows how to fix it.Sincerely,Heather

Hi Heather,when I get frequent crashes to the desktop - happens every once in a while, replacing some of the modules with fresh ones from the CD seems to help. One of the major culprits is 'Visualfx.dll', others are 'Facilities.dll', 'traffic.dll', weather.dll', 'g2d.dll' and 'g3d.dll'. Just pop FS2002 CD1 into your drive, cancel the autorun, and search for the modules by name (it won't find the whole 'modules' folder). Remember to delete the original ones first, rather than overwriting.Hope this helps,Cheers,Gosta.

Been there, still haven`t installed it ! Had over 7.4 gig worth of FS2002 scenery and planes installed when everything started goingwrong. Had the same problem when it would kick it back to the desktopand when I would try to load some planes it would lock to the point of having to to do hard boot. After 4 hard boots I gave up and un-installed the works. I`m in the process of backing everything upgetting ready to do a much needed re-format to clean things up!! Hope it works out for ya!!!

Guest Heather 636

As it turned out, the very thing I had meentioned being the only thing that I had not changed back turned out to be the culprit.The English.fll file.I had replaced it with one from:Remove the BRAKES and PARKING BRAKES messages Size: 28.91 KBFS2002 Remove "BRAKES" This is a patch to remove the "BRAKES" and "PARKING BRAKES" messages from your FS screen in FS2002, for those that want to. By Roy Chaffin roy@roychaffin.com http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html Added: Mon Nov 05 16:18:48 2001 ESTFilename: rcsnb2k2.zipI'm certain Mr. Chaffin meant well when he provided this nice little utility, had it worked. I do believe I need to send him a letter in regards to it's slight, shall we say, quirk?If you try using this, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE to make a backup copy of your original Engish.fll file first. Thank God I had.Thanks for the response guys.Not having to reinstall is a HUGE relief!!Cheers!Heather

Guest SD Sim

Ah yes, the hazard of add-ons. Anytime I add a new file to MSFS, I cringe and hope for the best. And like you, everything is backed up just in case. In my case it's even worse because I run FS2K2 on three networked machines via WidevieW. Very cool, but three times the work for installation. And if it suddenly stops working? :-hang

Guest Martin

There is a simpler way of doing it that doesn't cause any problems at all...Under the &l;SIM&r; section of the FS2002.cfg, insert this line:show_brake_message=0Easy, huh? :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing