Sign in to follow this  

Beech 18.....WOW!

I cannot believe the freeware that is hitting the streets for this sim! Another very fine aircraft out! If you have not tried this one yet go check it out immediately. There are a few little things which need to be fixed up but overall this is a keeper! I downloaded the sounds from Fred Choate's old 18 from FS2000 and they sound really good with this model, nice throaty radial sound, highly recommended. I have been flying this baby all evening and I could not resist a screenshot! I am restraining myself at just one too! The paintjob captures the classic 18 lines and look really well. I edited the interior textures to darken them up a good bit and I think it's much more realistic looking. This is one super aircraft! Morning sightseeing tour around Ranier...Enjoy!http://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/18!.jpg

HornitThanks for the info, she sure looks great. But where can I get one?

patrol wrote:>... she sure looks great. But where can I get one? (EDIT) Hornit corrects me in the next post & he's quite right. Least I can do is update the link for ya.

nope, this is a new one with a better model and its Gmax I believe. Its in the avsim file library and its only a few days old at this point, maybe a week or so at most. I think the authors name is Gregg Pepper.Hornit

I flew Greg Pepper's new Beech 18 for the first time last night. A 10:15pm takeoff from Austin-Bergstrom Int'l with real-world weather (few clouds, light winds, 1/2-3/4 moon). From the Spot View I noticed something very peculiar --- the metal "skin" of the airplan was semi-transparent. Not only could I see into the interior thru the metal but I could also see lighted airport buildings thru the plane. Anyone else experience this or is it just my setup? See profile for my system specs & thanks.

Yup, mine's transparent too, but only with the lights on. hmmm...guess I'll just do day flying for now:)Hornit

Guest eko

This is a problem with the night textures being in DXT-3 format instead of DXT-1. The alpha channel becomes a transparency at night if the night texture is saved as DXT-3. Open the night texture(s) in Image Tool (make a backup!) and convert it(them) to DXT-1 and fire up a night flight with it.I do not know why this happens, but I have encountered this problem on a repaint I did, and changing the format to DXT-1 fixed it.Give it a shot, and see if it works.

Guest 727Fan

It is a beauty. But I see the prop textures are not as refined as other models. I thought this was just my system's interpretation. But I see your shot at Ranier also shows this.One question: How do you turn it during taxi? I can't get mine to turn. MS Sidewinder.Thanks Rick

Question on the procedure to fix the night textures. I looked in the folder and all the textures look like daylight images to me. There were no -L textures. Also all the files were DXT-3 format. The only repeats were the the interior cabin parts one was called b18g_4 the other b18g_4_tCan you clarify which these I need to change?I apologize for the elementary question. I am just learning this.Thanks.Dave Spurlock

Guest Milton

For DXT3 format, all textures ending in _T will be transparent at night if they contain an alpha channel for reflectivity and HasReflectmap turned on during the author's export compile process.Two things must be done to correct this situation. The author must have checked HasLightMap during export to FS, and in the texture folder, for each _T suffixed texture, there must be a light map texture of the same name, except suffixed with _L. The light map can be a simple 256X256 pixel gray swatch of color, though more elaborate ones are being used.The author must change this during the export process. In the meantime, as long as you preserve the names, you can use imagetool to convert the textures to another format, or use DXTBMP to delete the alpha channel. At least, this is my understanding. :-) RegardsMilton

Seems like a nice plane but those stop-sign props really are annoying ;-)

..Yep...The Beech is a real sweetie. The prop textures aren't a big issue, it's easy to fix....Find the prop texture from another aircraft that you like...remame it to match the Cessna and drop it into the texture folder ( After you back up the original..)...It's a trial and error thing...some textures look good on their original host...but will look bad once you fire up the Cessna. Try another....Some folks have reported good results using the prop texture from the "Gryphon" Mosquito CFS2 model at the Gryphon Aviation Site.http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/cfs2/aircraft.htm