Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Image Question - need graphic card / setting experts..

Guest jabberthecat

I was working this this question last week, but am now wonderingif there are any other answers.Does mipmapping have to be turned on to get sharp head on views of the plane models?If so then are you also not experiencing the shimmering/pixelation of the terrain textures?My setting for this shot are GF4-ti4600 Det 29.42, 4xAA, LOD = -.1 Thru GTU I have 16 tap ansio.The top picture is when I turn mipmapping off in FS2002 Display Hardware Options.The bottom picture is with it turned on.With the top picture I get the shimmering/pixelated terrain.Am I missing something or is this the tradeoff?The 2nd set of pictues again shows mipmapping off on topand on in the bottom. - it is hard to see the effect ofpixelation in the top half, but it is there when down atlower elevations.So what do you fly with - mipmapping on/off - do you get shimmering if it is on?Thanks Myles

I have a Voodoo 5 in one system and GF3 in another and personally I can't stand to fly with mipmapping on. The smeared look to textures drives me nuts! The Voodoo 5 has beautiful textures even into the distance with almost 0 shimmering. My GF3 is not quite as good but if you can tweak your aniso to 32 or even 64 tap (need fast system) then it will make a big difference in that shimmering.Hornit

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Myles!If you use GTU for tweaking your drivers, did you use the patch to enable the 29.42 Detonator driver to deliver negative LOD? If you didn't use the patch, your LOD is still fixed at 0, regardless of what GTU says. There's no way of tweaking the post-23 Detonator drivers into negative LOD numbers without using the patch. Be, stay, live and patch well!Jaap Verduijn.

Jaap,Where can I obtain this patch for post 29.42 drivers?I checked on the GTU & Guru3D site and could not find anything.Thanks