Sign in to follow this  

Shold I get GF4 MXX420 64Mb? advice needed

HiI have a V7700 Geforce 2 32DDR AGP. Can anyone tell me is there will be a significant improvement if i upgrade to a GF4 MX420 64DDR? I know there it will be better becasue it's GF4 and because it has 64Mb but it's MX420. My current one is MX440. What does the MX*** mean? Will the fact that the GF4 has a lower MX make it slower then my GF2? Any advice is appreciated.Take careMike

Stay away from the GeF/4 MX. If money is an issue, pick up a GeF3, or pick up a GeF4/4200 if you can afford it. IMHO, the MX series is one of those wonderful marketing ploys to let people think they're getting a full fledged GeForce, but at a bargain price. I can't explain all the ways the MX is inferior, but a visit to any of the hardware sites (like tomshardware.com) or perhaps some insight from one of the other members here will help. -John

Guest DaveKDEN

I'd get a TI over an MX card any day. Seems many users aren't as happy with the performance of the MX based cards as they'd like. Wait until Sept when NVidia plans on releasing the NV30 (might be later than Sept). Prices on all previous cards should drop.Dave

hehe...I would also take a Ti over a Mx any day but it's double the price..Well, now I know not to go for the MX. I'll either save up more for a Ti or get e GF3. Take careMike

they state quite clearly that "GeForce3 cards are actually far more advanced than GeForce4 MX cards! Be aware of that!". GF3 cards had the vertex shader but GF4/MX cards are all warmed-over GF2 chipsets that lack that feature. Right now you should go for GF4/Ti4200 for max bang for the buck, or GF3/Ti200 at closeout prices if you have to pinch pennies.Don't miss the 3DMark2001 scores at the end of the article that show GF3/Ti series outperforming GF4/MX at 1024x768:http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q1/0...es/image099.gif

Guest DNelson

I've had one of the first-generation Geforce3 cards for over a year now and continue to be very happy with it. I've heard that FS2002 was not coded to take advantage of the additional features that the GF3 introduced, so I wouldn't expect a GF4 to add much performance to FS2002 when compared to a GF3 (assuming the same amount of memory on each). Of course, it also depends on what other 3D applications you may be using.Dan

Thanks for the info. I have decided to go for a Ti4200 64Mb...i found one for almost the same price as the Mx. :D Man, what would I do without all the helpful people here at AVSIM. :-)Take careMike

Thanks. I found a GF4 Ti4200 64mb cheaper then a GF3 64mb so I'll go for the GF4.Take careMike

Guest DaveKDEN

Out of curiosity, what's the 64MB GF4 Ti4200 price and where did you find it? Might be time to replace my 32MB GF2 GTS. ;-)Dave

Lots of vendors offering GF4 Ti4200 64MB at about $135, just search for ti4200 http://www.pricewatch.com. If you want a specific mail-order recommendation that I've personally used & trust, try http://www.newegg.com - they're selling Gainward's GF4 Ti4200 for $133 plus shipping.

Nice shot....Whenever I have business which requires me to connect through SLC, I always schedule my flight to arrive over the Grand Canyon about an hour before sunset... I live in PHX, and even at 35,000 feet a half hour out of Sky Harbor, it is impressive...-John

:-fume I am so angry!!!!I saw the card advertised in a computer paper here in Vancouver, B.C. and it said MSI GF4 Ti4200Td 64DDR......CA$149When I phoned and asked about it the reply was...."We do not have the one anymore, but can I interest yo in the 4400 for CA$280?" So in other words that was all BS.Oh well, I will still get it but from somewhere else. The normal price for it here in vancouver is about CA$250 (the Ti4200)Thanks all for the advice.Take careMike

Nice shot...What FPS do you have in 1600*1200*32?Take careMike

hehe..the prices are good but if I order from USA then the customs for Canada suck me dry..like last time with their exaggerated fees. :-rollIt will end up about the same if I buy the one for CA$250 strainght form here.Thaanks anyway.Mike