Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

Removing the 2D panel

Guest gasebah

Hi,well this is kind of an odd suggestion, but I really do not need the 2D panel for most of the GA aircraft. Why? Because I have the GoFlight units and also realityXP running on a 2nd monitor.Does it make any sense to remove the 2D panel? Will it help performance. What must remain in any case in order to let the plane still function properly?I know this is kinda odd. But how about it?Alex

Nothing in flight sim relies on the panel to function - You can remove it completely and everything will still be fine.With my setup I have 2 cut-down panels on seperate monitors. I made them with Panel Studio (primary instruments only). I binned the FS ones and just have the outside view on the main display.Theoretically there is a performance benefit of not running the 2D panel but in reality these don't consume much processor power so you may not notice the difference.To actually remove it you can either:press Shift-F1 when in the cockpit to hide the panel OR you can remove selected panels from the panel.cfg file. (Make a copy first).OR to bin all 2D and Virtual Cockpit panels just rename the panel.cfg to somthing else like panel.cfg.donotuseEDIT: This will not work for complex addon aircraft like the DreemFleet 737. all thier cool systems stuff is built into the actual panels and guages (unlike the default FS planes) so these type of aircraft will not run properly without them.PaulEGJJ

Guest gasebah

Thx Paul, great answer.Alex

Guest DaveKDEN

CAUTION!!!!If you remove the entire contents of the panel.cfg file, the aircraft will NOT show up in the aircraft selection menu. You need to have at least a valid panel.cfg file in order to choose an aircraft. The simplest solution is to remove the panel from view by pressing the "W" key twice when in the 2D panel view. The first time you hit "W" the minipanel shows up. The second time you press it, all panel files are removed from view. This way you don't need to mess with any panel folders.Dave

Guest UweR

Hi Dave, in FS2002 this has been "fixed", it