Sign in to follow this  
Guest NetBoyz

How do you decide...

How do you decide where to fly to/from. I mainly fly out of my home airport. Destinations have been places I've actually flown to before, places where I know someone who lives there, and some places I've visited before (but not flown to). I did fly the Aerial Chauffeur flights that came with FS, once in the C182 and once in the Baron.It's getting old flying around here. Its so flat and featureless. I'd like to see more of the country/world, but I draw a blank as to where to start and where to go.I'm sure its easier for those of you that fly heavies, just hop from one international airport to another. I only fly GA aircraft, and like to stay away from the major airports.I wish I could do some programming. I'd create a random flight generator. I've got it all thought out. You could enter your start or destination airport, or choose a random airport for your start, destination or both. You'd be able to enter a minimum and maximum distance between the airports. You can set filters for minimum runway length, surface type, and controlled or uncontrolled. You could also specify the country, or state for the start and destination airports. If only I coud program...So how do you decide where to fly from/to?

What I usually do if I'm not flying round Seattle in my Deb/Archer/H500, is fly around my home: New Zealand. I can safely say that even though I live here and am used to all of it, I still can get distracted by the mountains in the South Island or around Wellington and end up plowing into the hillside. Oh well :-) But usually I just select Wellington Intl as a start point, then head North or South and see what airport I come across first :-)http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/FS_..._banner_je4.jpg |http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/FS_STUFF/deb_v_s_pre.jpg Long Live General Aviation!http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/

Here are a couple of ways to get you ideas of where to go....1) Visit the VFR Flight Center here at AVSIM where you will find descriptions of great VFR flights, including pictures. You will have a good idea of what to expect in the regions shown, and can then set up your own flights. Here is the address: http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/...s_main_page.htm2) Another excellent way of getting ideas is to join one of the Bush Flying VA's (see my signature). You can fly missions that get posted there, or just get ideas of where to fly from.3) Get a map of the world, close your eyes and point your finger at a random spot :-)Blue skies !! :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I am currently doing a "round the world" in the FSD C115 so that I get to try just about everywhere. But when I fancy a little bit of mountain flying then I tend to take the C208 (with Steve Small's "Soloy" .air file) from Kathmandu to Lukla or other flights in that area.A rather stunning change of scenery !!!

Guest Scott Campbell

I'd never fly anywhere if I were flying bu....oh...Nevermind. ;-)I just fly the routes I have for GuardRail Air/Express/Cargo (which coincidentally, Frontier have now sucked up in real life), or with GA, like I did when driving - pick a direction and go that way until I'm bored or have to go to the little pilot's room, and land at the nearest convenient airport. I usually fly West since I'm in Colorado, with occasional flights North to Yellowstone, Jackson, South Dakota, (or pretty much anywhere along the East and Wesst Coast if I just landed my '47 there). There's a whole lot of nothing to the East and South from Colorado, so I avoid going that way.It's fairly simple. I just pick the places where there's actually something to see and maybe some challenge in flying - Europe, England, Western US and Canada, Alaska, etc. If I want boring landscape I wouldn't use FS.

Guest Lizardo

I sometimes fly areas that I see in foreign news stories.

Guest emergency_pants

I fly often from my childhood home airport, Shoreham UK. Other times I fly from Biggin Hill... then I just pick a spot that I've been to or would like to go to in real life and fly the route.I'm also doing a round the world flight which pretty much crosses all the interesting areas of the World. So If I have one boring rtw flight, I figure I'm heading somewhere cool in the long run. I recently discovered the Bush Flying Unlimited Forum here at AVSim which has some great ideas. But I also get stuck for where to go to/from... it's easy to do when you have the whole WORLD to choose from... simply too many choices.I like your idea of having a random flight planner, but the risks of getting an impossible or deadly boring flight is too great.I have some good ideas for a career mode in fs2002, which would include around 1000 flights and which sees you as a courier for a company in Europe.Anyway... I guess it comes down to letting you imagination run wild and flying some exciting places.Simon.

Guest Lindy

There are a few places in the world that specifically interest me.... Australia being one of them. So I start by visiting download areas and grab as many addons for, in this case, Australia as I think I would want. I've added all the LandClass and mesh terrain I could find, plus various airports. If the ReadMes include geographical information (hint to developers here) I look on a map to get a visual idea of where someplace is located. Then I just load up one of my new destinations and take off exploring. Since I am adding helicopters to my virtual hangar, I often spend the time practicing my helo flying skills in some new location. But I sometimes do agree...... the number of choices available is often overwhelming. Opening up an atlas, closing one's eyes and pointing a finger works about as well as anything else! :-hah-Lindy :-wave

i usualy fly routes of my favorite airlinenw1.gifTim Quayle Northwest Virtual Airlines et al - MSP

Guest jabberthecat

I had this problem... then I decided to fly around the US and hit all the detailed FS2002 cities.I started in Vancouver, BC zig-zaged down the coast. I did some airline flight in backtrack mode - KSAN to KRNO, KRNO to KSEA, KSEA to KLAX. In between are many GA flights. Right now I am jumpying overNevada, Arizona, New Mexico to go directly to KDFW from KLAX in a airliner. I will do a few GA flight around there and jet over to KMCO. From there I will work my way up the east coast. ( you see I recently got World Airports so I have to hit those places ( KLAX, KDFW, KMCO, KATL, KEWR, KPHL ). On to New York, Boston, Maine.Then I will zig zag to the midwest, probably via Montreal, Buffalo, Toronto, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Cinnicinati, Indiapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison WI ( birthplace ), Minneapolis, St Loius, Kansas City, Denver, El Paso, New Mexico, Arizona, Los Vegas, Salt Lake, Montana, Calagary, Edmonton, Alaska, back to BC, then Seattle ( hometown ).Then if I still like FS2002 - Hawaii, Toyko, Bejiing, Hong Kong, downunder, on to Europe? BUT that is a long way off.- MylesI fly the Archer, default 172/182, Cessna 421, default Boeings, Caravan.I have FSGENISIS Mesh for WestCoast, Rockies, National Parks, East Coast, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon - and what ever else they release in the next 7 months ( I have $60 1 year membership - entitles me to 75% off list prices ).

I usually fly in and out of my home airport (Republic/KFRG) and throughout Long Island and the northeast (like a short hop to MacArthur/KISP or an hour trip to Montauk/KMTP or Concord/KCON).I almost always fly GA nowadays, but sometimes I fly heavies in and out of international airports.

We fly almost nightly in GA aircraft. Currently in Nepal (talk about interesting) ;-))We fly online nightly. Email me for further details if interested as we have seen the world over ;-)))IP of the game is 216.50.31.223 and it starts nightly around 23:00 zulu (7:00 PM Eastern).

I usually like a theme. I've flown from one state capital to another of all the states in the continental US. My latest was to fly (no smart comments now) the Britney Spear's Summer 2000 Tour route. Pick anybody currently on tour and they usually have a web site that shows the various stops. I like this because the cities are usually close together and the flights don't get long and boring.

Tom

Hey Tom, we fly around the world. We are doing it in props now and just ended the night at VNLK.Go take a look at that runway ;-)))Will begin there tomorrow ;-)